if your baby was born around 33 weeks, how long was s/he in the NICU?

i know it varies a lot i just wanted to hear what your experience was.

my son was born yesterday, 33w1day. totally unexpected. and early. he weighed almost 5 lb 13 oz but his lungs are under-developed of course. i had a steroid shot but he was born like 2 hours later! everything was fast. i went from 1 cm to 10 cm in like 3 hours!

they say he is doing well but this is so hard and i just hope he gets stronger.

the NICU we are at is supposed to be really good

Stefanie83

Asked by Stefanie83 at 11:44 AM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It will depend on how he does. There is no set time frame that he will be there. Good luck to you and I hope he does well.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 11:51 AM on May. 10, 2010

• My twins were born at 33 weeks. One weighed 3 lbs 14 oz, and the other one weighed 3 lbs 9 oz. I had the steroid shot also to help with their lungs, but they were born pretty quickly after I had it, so I don't know if it helped or not. Anyway, my one daughter stayed in the hospital for 21 days, and the second one 23 days. That was pretty good especially since I had been told since the day they were born that they would be there until their due date 7 weeks later...so they got to come home 4 weeks early.
    fallnangel93

Answer by fallnangel93 at 11:52 AM on May. 10, 2010

• My twin boys were preemies - 34 weekers. Blake was 5 lb 1 oz and Brandon was 5 lb 6oz. Brandon was there for two weeks exactly and Blake was there for 2 weeks, 4 days.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 1:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My DS was born at 34 weeks, weighed 5lbs 11 oz. We got the steroid shot a few weeks before he was born so it had time to work and he had no breathing issues at all. He was in the NICU for 6 days. He just needed to learn how to breastfeed, then we got to take him home. I pumped to bring in my milk supply those first several days.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

• my son was born at 34 weeks .. i had the seroid shots also. he stayed for a week.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• OT - but I agree w/ PP, if you plan to bfeed, you should pump in addition to feeding him every chance you get, to help boost your milk supply. Nursing in the NICU is tough!!!! But possible!!! Sounds like if there are no other complications you might have your baby home by June 1~!~!~!~ Congrats mama! I know it isn't the birth you planned, but he is here and that is all that matters :)
    Amy_Plus_One

Answer by Amy_Plus_One at 4:57 PM on May. 10, 2010

• my son was born at 32 weeks. he was 5 lobs 3 oz.
    your son is a good size : )
    the nicu nurse told us they like to keep the babies until their due dates, but i think that would be the worst case scenario, most babies don't seem to stay that long. mine stayed 26 days.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:59 PM on May. 10, 2010

• congratulations on your baby!!!
    happy2bmom25

• CONGRATS!, my son was born @ 32 weeks and weighed 3lbs 3oz's. I had steroids a few weeks in advance but he still needed help breathing and had no sucking ability. He spent a total of 6 weeks in the NICU until his bili levels were down, stopped decells, was able to eat and breath on his own, able to maintain body temp, and was gaing weight. I was able to take him home before he even weighed 5lbs. Hang in there, I know how hard the NICU stay can be but many hosptials have support groups and lots of information on NICU stays. I hope everything goes well and that you and your baby are home soon!
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:11 PM on May. 10, 2010

• my baby was born in jan at 29wks 2 days and she came home march 18th...i also had the steroid shots but i delivered by section 3days later..congrats hopefully ur baby will be home soon..if you have any questions please feel free to ask
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 8:02 PM on May. 10, 2010