Why not cut the budget from the top down?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124650399438184235.html

Congress's travel budget at taxpayer expense up 50% in the last two years.

average salary $174,000. (at that wage, surely they can pay for their own plane tickets?)

wasteful spending... check this out... it will make you sick..

http://coburn.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=WashingtonWasteOfWeek.Home

if they stopped all this flying back and forth, and worked via secure online conferencing... how much money could be saved?
The solution is in the problem. We need new leadership in Washington, all the way around.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:05 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think Congress should take a 20% pay cut, along with the office of the President and Vice President. If you look at actual tax returns, most are millionaires and their salaries only make a small part of their income. If they expect doctors to take a 20% cut, they should me willing to do so themselves.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 3:01 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Because THAT would be too easy! Heaven forbid they have to cut THEIR salaries like most of the middle class has had to!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:16 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I totally agree that we need new leadership. More to the point, we need new leadership that is NOT coming out of the Democrat or Republican parties. They are both too stuck in their ways and too beholden to special interest groups, etc.
    What we need to do is work with the so called third parties to front viable candidates at all levels of government. I recently registered as a Modern Whig (the party President Lincoln, among others, belonged to). It was reconstituted a few years ago and is starting to see some sucess at the state level.
    If you want to learn more, I've started a group, Third Party Americans, that's designed as a clearing house for information about third parties as well as being a discussion forum.
    http://www.cafemom.com/group/109790
    We need top down reform so desperately in this country!
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Legislation has been introduced to cut Congress salary 25 times since 1973 by lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, but only once has such a proposal made it out of committee. That bill, introduced by Senator Don Nickles, Republican of Oklahoma, never got a floor vote

Currently, some lawmakers are ok with supporting measures that would cut their pay 5%. A bill was introduced 2 months ago with bipartisan support.... I wonder if it will make it to Fancy Nancy's to-do list?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Third partys won't be any better.Once they are in the corruption begins.Sorry to burst the bubble.What needs to be done is to just hold these so called public servants accountable.
    Anonymous

• How about eliminating all the HIGH,wasteful and ridiculous salries paid to entertainers and sports' stars? It is just indecent.
    Compared to those "stars" politicians are paid peanuts.
    Anonymous

• I think everything they pay for & all their pay checks should be available for the public to view all the time. We need to know how they are spending our tax dollars.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:46 PM on May. 10, 2010

• They certainly aren't doing any real tightening of their own belts.Most middle class do not make as much as they do and have been told they need to tighten their belts.How right is that? While the politicians sit high on the hog dictating what we must do.Eating $100 a peice steaks.Cranking up the thermostat while telling us we need to keep ours at a temp they say is ok.On top of that doing a lousy job at being so called "public servants."
    Anonymous

• Yes, we need to clean house from the top down. I hope that they figure out soon that if they keep this up, THEY will be the only ones with a paycheck......and all the bills will come to THEM. They should be leading by example, and making cuts on their own instead of spending more & more & more, just because it isn't out of their own pocket. And WE need to hold these people accountable for everything they do, instead of giving them a pass because they bring money back to MY state, so what could be wrong with THAT?? Start thinking about what that money is actually FOR! A lot of the time, it is for a vote for something else that is not so good for MY state, so it really is not good in the long run. I do like how the pubs have taken a moratorium on earmarks, and I hope they continue. I would love to see a bill be ONLY about that bill, not all the other BS tacked onto the end of it.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:46 PM on May. 10, 2010

• since I am not personally being forced to pay the salaries of celebrities, etc, I don't care how much they make. Politicians are another story.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:05 PM on May. 10, 2010