When should my almost 13 month old...

start to feed himself with a spoon he trys once in a while but as soon as he gets the food on the spoon he takes his other hand and squishes it. So when will he just eat :) ???????????

ktinaza

Asked by ktinaza at 12:35 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my 18 month old is just now figued out how to use a fork and spoon, god love her; she is so proud when she do use it, and we give her lots of praise :D
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:58 PM on May. 10, 2010

• just keep giving it to him it takes practice. he should be good or decent with a fork and the spoon will come.
    Anonymous

• o...so I should let him use a baby fork before the spoon.??
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 12:44 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My 14 month old can feed himself with a baby fork. Try one of those.
    Anonymous

• My almost three year old still hasn't figured it out. He sure tries though! Is your 13 month old really active? My son is, and he just doesn't have the patience to learn his fine motor skills. He does well with forks, and he gets some food in his mouth with a spoon, but it's still VERY messy, and hit and miss.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Just let him go with the flow and get dirty!
    almendibles

Answer by almendibles at 9:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My 3yr old is pretty good at it. Just hasn't mastered getting it ALL into her mouth. Don't worry. Just let him let them take their time. They'll get it. Besides squishing your food is fun ;)
    alexa_n_mommy

Answer by alexa_n_mommy at 10:15 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My 23 month old hasn't quite figured it out yet. He understands the concept and what he needs to do, the execution just needs a little work. He always turns the spoon upside down so the food falls off before it gets to his mouth.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 10:49 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Ok I'll just let him be a mess :) Yes he is very active and can hardly sit still. We will work on it then. Thank you
    ktinaza

Answer by ktinaza at 4:12 PM on May. 11, 2010