How many siblings do you have? Are you close?

I come from a loud, drunken, irish family and I say that with nothing but love. I have two sisters and five brothers. I'm the oldest at 24 and my youngest sibling, Matthew, is 13. I also have many aunts, uncles, and cousins and we were all practically raised together. Family pride and loyalty were a big part of our upbringing and because of that I'm close to my siblings; especially my twin sister and two eldest brothers. I've noticed that a lot of people seem surprised when I go out and they'll ask if the guy I'm with is my boyfriend and I say "no, that's my little brother." They genuinely seem curious as to why I would hang out with my siblings like that. You should really see the looks when we go out drinking with our parents. I grew up with the belief that you can be friends and hang out with siblings and even your folks. Though it is odd when guys my age start hitting on my mom.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm not as close to my brother as I once was. We did used to hang out though.

My husband's best friend is from a family just like yours. They all go out together. Specifically the unmarried siblings, but on special occasions the whole crew goes out. I think it's nice. There are fewer of them than there are in your family (two boys and three girls) but it's the same dynamic.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 1:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I think thats great! You are blessed to have a big family & still ties to them all. I have 1 yonger sister & 1 older sister. The younger lives 7 hrs away with her hubby & son.My older sster lives about 30 mintes away.we were kinda close on & off as kids & then for a while as adults now, nothing but comunicating on the computer.It's sad I wish it was different.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 1:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

• In total there are about 9 of us... But I grew up only knowing and living with one of them. I still haven't met them all. So, no, we aren't close. I'm not close to even those ones which I know. I'm the oldest from what I know, but thanks to my family vine there are kids here and there so there could be one older than me I guess. The youngest of which is only about 5 or 6 I guess, but I haven't seen him in years. Even my sister who I grew up with and I don't speak much... I guess we just see no point.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I have 2 brothers and 1 sister. I am close to them all.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 1:05 PM on May. 10, 2010

• well im an only child from my parents, i have a step brother from my stepfather & a half sister from my stepmother, they are both young - 13 & 11. but i come from a big italian family on both sides. i have 3 aunts and 1 uncle on my moms side, and an uncele & aunt of my dads side. so I have like 15 cousins and we were all raised together like brothers and sisters. i drink & hang out with all of them. love it. cant imagine it any other way and want it for my kids.
    My SO has a brother and 2 sisters, and lots of aunts and stuff too but none of them EVER see eachother. litterally see eachother like 1 a year. dont understand it at all.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:06 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I have an older brother who is very sick right now, diagnosed with a form of dementia that has taken the man he use to be. Yes, we are close, before he got sick he worked too hard and for too long and didn't have time to spend with anyone, the silver lining now is that since he can no longer do what he use to, we see each other almost everyday and share now so much more than before. Aunts and uncles and such were left behind in Cuba 50 years ago, most of them have passed away and I now have other blood relatives I have never met, and will probably never meet, because I refuse to travel there while the dictartorship still reighns.

Answer by older at 1:08 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My brother, who is 4 years older than I am, didnt really talk to me until I was about 17. We talked of course but we hever had any of the same friends, he was into skateboards and punk music while I was into boys and pop music. When I was17 I went to visit him in Austin and we had a blast. Ever since then we have been close. He ended up getting married to my best friend and I think he likes my DH now more than he does me but its ok. We all hang out and have a great time.
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 1:13 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I have 3 older sisters and an older brother. I used to be close with them but not anymore. Nothing major has happened. We've just grown up and apart and have little in common anymore. We all live in the same town but I only see them at a few times a year and I'm okay with that.
    Anonymous

• I am from a family of five kids. One boy and four girls. We all pretty close, except the middle sister. She was always unhappy with herself and is not pleasant to be around. She is actually quite abrasive. Thankfully she lives 6 hours away from all of us.
    My oldest sister and younger sister and I are all close. Our only brother flits in and out, sometimes he is close and sometimes, he is too busy.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:15 PM on May. 10, 2010

• two and no, we're not close. I thought I was close to my one sister but recenlty she showed her true colors and used everything I had said to her in confidence in an argument to hurt me. Reality sucks. BUT, I have an awesome heart sister who is my best friend and she rocks!
    Anonymous