how can i get my daughter to use the potty without forcing?

She will be 2.5 this summer and knows when she has to go just doesn't want to go to the potty. If I let her run without pants on she puts a diaper on to go and takes it off when finished.

I know your not suppose to fix it but this is making me frustrated.

Please...any advice or ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you taken her to pick out a potty seat? We went thru 3 before she found one she liked. Then I put the rest throughout the house. The one she liked, I put in the family room and she would sit on it to watch tv...eventually, she would only get on it to go potty and after about 3 months she started using the potty insert on the big potty.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:28 PM on May. 10, 2010

• She doesn't like those potty chairs. I've let her pick out a few. She likes the big one. In my house I don't have a bathroom on the mail floor so I try to keep more toys upstairs or in the basement to keep her around the bathroom but it doesn't work. I've thought about getting one of the potty chairs that sings or something
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 1:32 PM on May. 10, 2010

Anonymous

• UGH my daughter is 3 and is not trained yet.We have been working at it for almost a year now. :/ I know i just need to never put a diaper back on her,but my 1 year old is at risk of the messes :( My daughter will skeak her sisters diapers on if im not looking(kinda funny because they are small on her lol) We have tried rewards,treats,decorating the seat,reading,portiable dvd player,taking away the diaper(pooped all over the sofa she didnt care)
    I dont know HOW to get her to CARE :/
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Get some toys that she can only play with when on the potty. Start a reward or treat that she only gets when going potty. We used jelly beans...1 for pee and 2 for poop.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I personally don't believe that kids who know when they need to go potty should be given the option not to. She shouldn't be able to get out her own diaper and put it on... they should be out of reach, or better yet, out of the house. Let her go with no pants or just underwear; let her know that she is a big girl now and is EXPECTED to use the potty, that you will praise her, reward her if she does, but that not using it is NOT an option (meaning, she will not be given a diaper if she holds out long enough). She'll soon realize that it's more fun to use the potty than to pee down her leg. As soon as you see her starting to have an accident (you will have to keep a close eye on her), move her to the potty. Don't scold her or make a big deal out of the accidents, just tell her next time to put the pee in the potty And if even a little makes it in, praise her and offer a small reward.
    Anonymous

• The good news,,, never seen any one graduate high school and not be potty trained! LOL,, I think using the big potty is the best idea,, I used bribery,, M&M's every time DS told me he need to go potty he got a few,, it worked. She honestly may not be ready,, and at least she gets a diaper to wet in,, not on the floor, LOL! I wouldn't stress out, it will happen mamma!!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:41 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My son is 2-1/2 and in the same boat.. although he isn't quite there, he will not use the potty - he rarely even tells me when he poops.. but lately he's been doing that more.. I tried taking away the diapers but I woh and it makes it hard to stay consistant. I will be retrying it again at the end of the month when I have days off in a row to get it done
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:57 PM on May. 10, 2010