UGGG! My 5 year old is pooping his pants, consistently,, and it is driving me nuts!

Okay DS has been pooping his pants for the past couple of months,, it started with a stomache bug,, and he honestly couldn't help it,, now at least 2 times a week,, just today in fact he is pooping his pants. I have tried calmy asking him and he says he just likes to hold it ! He then gets to the point where he cannot make it to the toilet. I have tried getting him to clean it up himself,, this led to him hiding it from me. I have tried not to make an issue,, but today I kind of yelled at him, and I feel really bad, any ideas what to do? I cannot continue to have to leave places and or delay school or something else to clean him up. I don't want to threaten a diaper, but really don't know what else to do! Help!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 2:12 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Oh it very well could be just him wanting to hold it....but my son pooped what I thought was normal and when he did it was normal looking, didnt hurt. I would MAKE him sit on the potty for a while, 10 minutes later he would poop in his pants.

Have you tried a timer or books by the potty to get him to relax and sit longer? Maybe get him to sit a few minutes after every meal, at least until this problem is corrected.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:52 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Ok I am gonna throw this idea out there, it MIGHT not be your childs issue, but maybe.

My son is 6 and is very smart and no issues with the potty...until he started going in his pants....it wasnt a FULL poop in the pants, but enough that it would stink and underwear was ruined, usually called for a bath too.

I would describe it as a half poop...(sorry, trying to explain)

Anyways, this went on for weeks, some days he would do this, other days he would not. Couldnt figure it out.

Until I realized that it was not his fault and it was being caused from CONSTIPATION. Its like the bottom gets stopped up with hard poop and small bits of soft poop pushes out from around the blockage and leaks out. The child usually has no idea that this is happening.

NOW, I have no idea really if this is your sons issue, but you might should take him to the Dr if this continues. Just wanted to let you know. :) :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:38 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Oh and dont feel bad, I got mad a couple of times at my son. Now I realize it was never his fault...we all make mistakes like that....we are human!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:39 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Thanks mom2,, but he poops regularly,, I thought about the constipation thing,, but TMI--his poop is not hard, just normal,, I had asked him if it hurt when he went,, he says no,, he just likes to hold it in because he is busy,, now he will go #1 whenever he gets the urge,, in fact we have to check out every bathroom in every store we visit. Today we had jus left Target and of course visited their restroom and went #1,, I asked do you have to poop,, no mom I don't,, and 10 minutes later,, Mom I pooped my pants. I am beginning to feel like the poop police! He is well adjusted,, so I guess maybe I should talk to the doctor,, IDK,, but appreciate your advice!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:45 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My kids are in K and grade one and to my shock, both had poop accidents at school. Now what I do to avoid this, is to get up a little earlier, feed them and give them a drink to make sure they both "go" before we leave for school. Sometimes, they really can't get to the bathroom in time and are lazy about it while they are playing, so they wait until the last second and it's too late. That said, has ANYTHING changed in your home, at school, etc, lately? Could there be a bully or a mean kid at school? Is there anything you can think of that has changed? Also, you can talk to your ped. Good luck. I don't imagine he's messing himself to make you mad but I do understand how annoying it is.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:46 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Holding poop in can make you constipated and it doesn't have to be hard to be constipated, my son had diarrhea and was constipated. The Dr said they can poop around the part that is constipated. Maybe his Dr can explain it in a way he will understand why it is bad to hold it in. As bad as it sounds a diaper/pull up might just be what he needs to stop if it is his fault.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 2:58 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Have you thought about reincorporating a 'reward' for potty time like you did when first potty training? It seems like the big thing is that he doesn't want to stop what he is doing to get up and go... so you would want to make the process more appealing for him again. We did stickers and M&M's with my 2 year old, but you might want to set up a reward chart and give him a BIGGER reward at the end of the week.

Just a thought, and good luck!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:28 PM on May. 10, 2010

• He needs to check for encomprosis...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:05 PM on May. 10, 2010