My 11 week old hates tummy time!

He can't stand it. How do I make sure he gets it and isn't totally upset?

acurran88

Asked by acurran88 at 2:32 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's too young for it. All my kids hated it so I never put them on their tummies. They are fine. Don't do it if he hates it!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:34 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Thay all hate it at first. The more you do it the more they will like it. Just do a few mins right know. It is a great way to get those neck muscles storng.
    Anonymous

• all my kids hated it too. my oldest despised it the most! i think because of that, she didn't crawl, but hit all the other milestones on time like sitting up & walking. instead of crawling, she'd scoot on her butt around the carpet. my 2nd hit all developmental milestones early. crawling at 5 months, walking at 9, etc. my third is only 6 weeks old and so far doesn't like it at all, so i'm not forcing it. i try but not every day and only for as long as he's comfortable. we'll see how he turns out =)
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:41 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My son hated it so much. Id just do 5 minutes 5 times a day spread out so it wasnt as much torture at once. lol. He hated it till he was 14 weeks and started rolling over well. Then if i layed him on his back he would roll to his tummy. lol. They just have to get used to it.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:59 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Mine did too...we decided not to bother. His tummy time only came when he was tummy to tummy with one of us. Never crawled, straight to walking.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Tummy Time is a necessary developmental tool, with all the time babies spend on their backs sleeping and in “containers” like car seats, strollers and swings. It strengthens baby’s neck, arms and core muscles and helps them avoid delays and flat spots. However, most babies dislike TT initially, partly because it’s not offered early and often enough, and because they can’t see what’s going on around them. But the latter is what gets them to lift up their head! So, make sure you’re getting down there with him and trying at his most content time of day. Try a favorite toy or baby-proof mirror. Sing or talk to him to distract him – babies love the sound of your voice. For more tips, check out this helpful website from Pathways Awareness: http://bit.ly/8IhuuF.
    PathwaysMom

Answer by PathwaysMom at 4:29 PM on May. 19, 2010