Toddler's daily menu. Does this look OK?

This is my first baby, so sometimes I'm not so sure if I'm feeding him correctly. I don't like to bring out all the pots and pans for every meal, or buy fancy food. Do you all have any other ideas on food I can make him, or even be able to store in advance for a quick healthy meal/ snack? My little guys is almost 16 mos.
Ok, here is what I feed him:
Mornings: 8 AM---8oz. of milk
9:30 or 10 AM--1 egg with slice of Kraft cheese, and some veggie like spinach that I can mince and add. He HATES veggies and will pick them out if he sees them.
I laso will feed him either a tube of string cheese, or yogurt, or applesauce.
SNACK: 11:30 AM---Peanut butter sandwich and some fresh fruit
LUNCH: 1:00 PM--Ham and cheese sandwich or quesadilla with the same ingredients. He also has some yogurt and some graham crackers
NAP TIME: 2:30--4:30 PM: 8oz bottle
Snack: 4:50 PM-- Fruits and some string cheese
Dinner: 7:00 PM-- Varies

Miss-Baby-Baker

Asked by Miss-Baby-Baker at 3:18 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For dinner, I usually feed him whatever we are having that day. So it could be spaghetti, sloppy joes, anything!
    Miss-Baby-Baker

Answer by Miss-Baby-Baker at 3:19 PM on May. 10, 2010

• looks good to me maybe a bit more fresh fruit thats all
    Anonymous

• I agree some more fruit wouldn't hurt,, will he drink V8? I give my DS the low sodium kind,, plus now they have the sweeter tasting ones,, he loves v8,, but hates veggies too!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Sounds great! : )

For lunches too, I sometimes do ham or turkey sandwiches, I have my little one help me make them that helps him to eat items he may normally say no to. I sometimes cut them into fun shapes. cookie cutters work for that. you can do that with the cheese too.

Mac n cheese, nuggets are also alright if given not as often as every day.

When you make dinner, you can cook an extra piece of chicken/pork whatever.... chop it up and zip lock it put in fridge for lunch the following day.

I love to do corn for my little man I let him sprinkle a dabble of seasoning on it, this helps him to eat it because 'he made it'.
    That's how I got my son to eat broccoli, and every other veggie out there. He helped me put it in the pot, or put in the microwave, or sprinkle a spice on it. Stir it etc.

cottage cheese is a good item for a toddlers menu, you can even mix it with fruit like mandrin oranges, peaches, pineapp
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• If you're ever interested in doing something fun with your toddler, get him involved in what you're doing. Have him make his own pizza. buy the mozzerella the dough, and some pepperoni... you can also grab veggies and ask him to sprinkle some on there. Maybe he'll eat them that way. Praise him for his great work.

After doing things like this for a while, my son now will eat any veggie I give him. He asks for broccoli for lunch. He loves green bell peppers. It's a good way to make veggies just as fun as fruits.

Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 3:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Introduce new foods often to avoid him developing a preference for only the foods he eats regularly. I try to switch up my boys' diet everyday and introduce things that I don't like. My boys are not at all picky and will try everything at least once before deciding if they like it or not. Here are a couple of things that are a hit at my house: grilled cheese cut into bite sized pieces, fruits of all kinds, veggies of all kinds, chicken fingers, tator tots, ravioli, easy mac, lunchables, pancakes (make them small so you can make a bunch and freeze the extras to pop in the microwave during the week), cereal bars, dry cereal as a snack, fruit snacks, quesadiilas, pasta salad, french toast, eggs in a basket, chicken noodleos, tomato soup, gold fish crakers, pop corn, peanut butter and crackers, just some ideas. Hope that helps.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 3:39 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Is is consitpate? He is eating way too much dairy, no whole grains, no legumes, not nearly enough fruits and vegetables. Here is a great article on feeding toddlers: http://vegkitchen.com/kid-friendly-recipes/nourishing-toddlers.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 5:39 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My daughter won't eat veggies, either. At our 18 month check up, our pediatrician said to double up on fruits, because the nutrients are virtually identical between fruits and vegetables. As long as your child isn't overweight and you are brushing his teeth everyday, the fructose isn't a big deal. Just keep trying to introduce new meats and vegetables every day.

You can also try some whole grain waffles, french toast (I don't use syrup), hummus, whole grain pasta. quesadillas, and cheese ravioli. My daughter also eats lots of dairy and has no issues with constipation. Just try to introduce some more grains and keep up the proteins. But don't worry if he picks fruit over veggies right now. It's pretty common at that age.

I'm a first time mom, too, and I lucked out. Our health insurance company offered a free class on toddler eating, which was a huge help to me.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:33 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I use whole wheat pasta and wheat bread for DS. I try to always make his mac 'n cheese (melt a slice of cheese in whole wheat noodles) because I noticed how high the sodium is in easy mac. I try to put veggies in anything i can think of. Since he switched to table food he all of a sudden hates veggies. Of course my MIL keeps giving him a bunch of junk when I'm not there so that's probably part of the problem! UGH!
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 1:34 PM on May. 11, 2010