what should i do?

My DS will be 2 in july... he will not stay in his crib or his toddler bed he would rather stay up all night! he don't even take naps because he will not stay in bed! i took him to the DR and he does have an ear infection and has been on med since last week! im at my wits ends as to what to do.... everyone i have asked laughs and says im screwed!

TatymMommi

Asked by TatymMommi at 3:29 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• put a bed rail on his bed. He'll scream and cry but you have to take charge! GL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:35 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I agree you will eventually have to take charge. You can make it fun if he is willing to obey. He can stay in bed with books until he falls asleep. You can put up Christmas lights for him. You will havee to remain serious and consistant.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Do you have a pet he can sleep with? Hey it seriously works!
    3gigglemonsters

• I actually have 2 dogs and 1 cat! he can take his pick! just as long as he stays in bed! these long nights of fighting his sleep need to stop cause he is so exhausted!
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 3:55 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Lets see... I am sure you have a routine.. my one friend, their son had to be physcially put back to bed nanny 911 style, where you aren't talking to them or looking at them 147 times the first night in the toddler bed.. although it did take a few months each night got easier and easier. I agree with maybe the night light or white noise to help calm? even lavender baths to help calm but I have a boy too so I know that doesn't work the best! my son is 2-1/2 and gets back restlessness and growing pains./bad dreams and wakes constantly at night screaming/wanting me so I understand the exhaustedness too- I just ordered this Calm Forte - its made by highland - the maker of homeopathic teething tablets.. I bought the adult version too because since having him I now wake 4-5 times a night also - my husband tried it first and said it was the best sleep he had in years. I am still waiting for my son's dose to come.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I mean, I don't like that I feel I am drugging my child to get him to sleep but its all natural and homeopathic and his Dr's feel I should let him cry it out when he wakes but in turn, when I try that, he works himself up more and more and then gets so upset he freaks out and hurts himself by throwing himself all over the place thinking I am not coming to him or whatever it is, it scares me so I refuse to let him feel scared like that.. I don't know what else to do either, not enough sleep will eventually cause developmental and behavioral delays too - this is a non stimulant/non addictive - all natural product so I thought I'd give it a shot.. yes, i am still justifying it to myself.lol!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:12 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I will have to look it up where did u find that at?
    TatymMommi

Answer by TatymMommi at 4:15 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Amazon.. or go to the Highlands website.. Email me if you want more info!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:00 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I think the best way is to establish a routine and stick to it. Eat dinner and bathe at the same time every night. Read a couple of stories. Brush teeth. Say goodnights and into bed.

We also go around and tell everyone "night night." First daddy. Then the goldfish. Then the dogs. Then mommy.

My daughter is a pretty good sleeper, but she sometimes has rough nights. At our house, bedtime means bedtime, so even if she doesn't want to sleep - the lights go out. I sometimes sit with her and rub her back, but she has to stay in bed.

When we ran into a rough patch, I went an bought a super fantastic pillow case with flowers and bees on it. She was so excited to sleep on her new pillow, she went right to bed and didn't have any more issues.

Just try to be consistent. Kids go through phases.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:23 PM on May. 10, 2010