Help! I think my 5 year old hates me.

I have 2 children, a girl (she'll be 8 in June) and a boy (just turned 5 in April). We had a strained relationship in his early toddler years, but, with effort, it got better. He is in Pre-K this year. The past few months he has been out of control. I mean yelling at me, hitting me, hitting and kicking the walls, when you try to tell him something he laughs or puts his hands over his ears, or does the exact opposite. Most of this behavior is when interacting with me. He listens to his Father, there have been no complaints from his teacher, does well at other people's house. Today we had the entire day just us. I focused on him, coloring, playing games, went to the market and let him pick some of his favorite things, took him out to lunch, thinking maybe spending time together would help. Well it didn't, he is doing the same things. I feel like he hates me. He loves spending time with Dad and Grandma, anyone but me.Please help

jenjen21502

Asked by jenjen21502 at 3:30 PM on May. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Punish his butt. He probably does it because he gets away with it. I've decided, if mine ever says they hate me, I'll just say, "Good, then I know I'm doing my job right." and continue on with the punishment. LOL
    Anonymous

• I agree with anon to a point. You are probably tip toeing around him because you love him and are scared he hates you so don't punish him as much as you probably should. This was happening with my son and one day I set clear limits and he got real punishment every single time he did something bad. You might ask his teacher what form of punishment they use at the school. Also watch your husband closely and see how he reacts when your son acts up. I'd take the approach of "Fine you have a choice, act ugly and lose all of your toys or act nice and have a great day with Mommy" After a while he'll stop. If not therapy might be the next step.
    Anonymous

• if you think he hates you now wait till he's 15, oh boy! keep up the good work momma
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:26 PM on May. 10, 2010