What age is too young to take a child to the beach?

My son is 3 months old and my bf and i were wanting to go to the beach soon but im not sure if he is old enough yet.

JesikaLynn

Asked by JesikaLynn at 3:53 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Carry a light weigh blanket to keep the him covered so he doesn't get sun burned.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:56 PM on May. 10, 2010

• If it is too hot, don't go,, but if not take an umbrella and make sure he has a hat and sunscreen,, I wouldn't stay more than a couple of hours,, Kudos to you wanting to go to the beach,,DS is 5 and I still dread the bathing suit~!! LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:56 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Get a nice big sun umbrella and some sun screen and he'll be fine for a couple hours!
    Anonymous

• i took my son when he was 4 months and had a horrible time. I even took a tent to put out on the beach just so i could let him lay in it and maybe i could lay outside of it to get a little sun but he would scream because i wasnt holding him. It was march and i know he wasnt hot..he was just being a mommies baby. Then the day before we left i had to take him to the ER because he had a high fever and was very pale..it scared the crap out of me because we had taken the kids to the zoo and they had on the news that a lot of kids that had been there had gotten ecoli so i was so scared..he was okay though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:01 PM on May. 10, 2010

• If he is out of the sun it will be fine to bring him. Under a umbrella or some sort of cover.

Answer by louise2 at 4:07 PM on May. 10, 2010

• You cannot use sunscreen on a child that young. Any child UNDER 6 ms. old should not have sunscreen applied. Instead cover with lightweight long sleeved/long legged out fit. Have a HUGE floppy infant hat, cover with a lightweight blanket.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:12 PM on May. 10, 2010

• ok thanks! i didnt even know where to begin, but after reading your responses i fell more confident!
    JesikaLynn

Answer by JesikaLynn at 6:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• the sun and heat aren't the only concerns, the beach is also a very likely place for a baby to get a strep infection. I live in hawaii and asked my ped at my daughter's 4 month and was told to avoid the beach altogether until she's 6 months.
    Anonymous