What should I expect??

Im being induced today at 8pm.. I went into labor on my own with DS but DD is being a diva and refuses to come out. Im really nervous about being induced since its new to me and I dont really know what to expect. Last time with my son I went through labor until I was 8cm without an ep I knew I wouldnt be able to push through the pain so I choose to get one. I plan on getting one this time also but I want to wait till last minute to get it but Im worried I wont be able too because I heard contractions are stronger when induced so I dont want to cave and get one early.. Im just super nervous..

MiSs.SmOkEy

Asked by MiSs.SmOkEy at 3:58 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced. It's not too bad. They give you cervadil to soften the cervix and pitocin to start contractions.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 4:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

• They are worse. Just make sure you wait until they are fairly close together. You can also request that they wait on the pitocin until after your water is broken.

Most hospitals have rules about how far you have to be to even get an epi. Most it's 4 or 5 cms. But again as long as you wait until they are close together you should be just fine. I've had 2 full inductions and my third was "helped" along. (By the time the actual contractions started I was already 5 cms and screaming at my doc to just get it over with.)
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Oh you can look me up on FB and friend request me if you want. That way if you have a question while your going threw it you can ask.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:10 PM on May. 10, 2010

• When you reach the pushing stage of labor it actually feels GOOD. Almost all women experience a major decrease in pain once the pushing phase starts, then have the "ring of fire" during crowning, but it lasts about a minute and then your baby is born :) You made it to the very most painful part of labor with your first, if you can hold out just a little bit longer, you won't need the epi at all :)

Pitocin doesn't work like natural oxytocin in your brain. It can make contractions feel more painful. I was induced with my daughter, though, and didn't need an epi... made it through the birth without pain medicine at all.

Stay upright as much as you can. Ask your doctor for what procedure he will be using for the induction (because there are several different methods).

Last, if you don't want to be induced, and you and baby are healthy, you can refuse. Being more than 40 weeks is not a reason for induction by itself.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:14 PM on May. 10, 2010

• i was induced and my water was broken by my doc. i got an epi and did not feel any contractions. by the time the pitocin kicked in a was numb. but i had really bad pain inside and my daughters head was to big to fit so i ended up having a c-section. :(
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 4:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I was put on the pitocin at 7am. 11am they gave me an epidural drip (constant, so I never ran out) so that they could increase the pitocin. And honestly, at that point, I was contracting on a 94 out of their scale of 100, but wasn't dialating, so they turned the pitocin up as high as they could get it without making me sick. It didn't feel any worse than before I had the epidural, and if anything, it really helped me relax and focus. I could definitely still feel the contractions, and I imagine with the size of my first (8lb3oz at 37wks) that I'll probably have a big one this time, and have the same procedure.

I'm a small-framed woman, 5'3, (was)115lbs, now 135lbs. I bet it will still be hard for baby to fit this time.

If you can handle natural birth that long, there's no reason you can't with the pitocin. Remember, if you need the epidural or any kind of spinal block, just let them know ahead of time, and ask them to
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• tell you before it's too late, to give you the last opportunity to make the choice. At the same time, your doctor could be like mine and give it to you early anyway to speed delivery and recovery!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:51 PM on May. 10, 2010