Is it normal?

My brother just told me this morning that his wife of 18 years is leaving him. I've been depressed all day and crying like someone died. Is this normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:14 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Where you close to both of them ?

Answer by louise2 at 4:16 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I can understand you being upset for them, but being depressed and crying your eyes out generally isn't the first reaction for most people. Understanding the pain/heartach your brother is going through is normal, especially if you were close with him or both of them. I just don't see how that type of news can lead to you personally being depressed and crying all day.

Some might understand more then I do, but to me that's a bit extreme.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:10 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It's not abnormal to feel bad for a situation your brother is going through. Especially if it's one you wouldn't want to be in, yourself! I think it's mighty bold of you to feel this strongly, a lot of others would shrug it off and tell the brother to get over it. Not only that, if you were close, it would really suck to "lose" a member of the family!

I'm sorry your brother is going through this, but I'm glad he has someone to feel for him!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:16 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Either you are hurting because your brother is hurting, or you are grieving the loss of a sister (in law). Maybe a little of both. People grieve in different ways and love others at different levels. What ever your reaction is, is yours. No one has the right to tell you it's wrong.

If you feel the depression is interfering with your daily routine or if it last for more than a week, i would suggest talking to a professional to help you process your grief.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 5:26 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Yes, I hurt because he is hurt, they seemed so perfect for each other, they built a house together, they had a beautiful good daughter, thats graduating high school soon, they had money and went to church, this just seems so crazy! I just don't understand. It also stirs up grief of my first divorce and other losses. I loved my sil and thought she was a sister.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on May. 12, 2010