Your Baby Can Read?

Has anyone tried this? I'm skeptical of it.. what are your thoughts??

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 4:16 PM on May. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I can't get behind any program that says you should put your kid in front of the TV every day. It doesn't teach phonics, as far as I can tell, and is based on memorization. If you want your kid to read early, I think you're better off reading to them and, like you said, doing your own flash cards with them. They will appreciate that time with you more than watching a DVD.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:46 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I think its the biggest waste of money. It teaches your baby to memorize words, not actually how to read.. which is fine. However there is nothing in that kit that you cant do for cheaper or free by yourself. Wouldnt spend $200 on it.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 4:27 PM on May. 10, 2010

• A lot of reviews I read on it said it's very bad for your child. Children aren't meant to learn to read that young. They say it slows them down developmentally in other aspects. You'll be able to say your very young child can read before most...but they will suffer in the long run. I've heard they can develop dislexia....have problems with math....etc...I wouldn't do it.
    Anonymous

• Oh I am in no way thinking of trying it, I just wanted to get some opinions of what other moms think about it and if they have tried it. If I wanted to teach my child to read I could make my own flash cards and google a picture of an elephant rather than spending $200 on this little kit lol
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 5:26 PM on May. 10, 2010