Can someone tell me why we dont give dairy to kids til they are a year old?

Im actually just curious cuz my mom said she gave us yogurt etc when we were like 6 months old. I know that was 30 years ago, i was just wondering. thanks! :)

dankaz

Asked by dankaz at 4:19 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Even 30 years ago you weren't supposed to give milk to babies. The infant digestive system is not yet ready to handle the "alien" proteins of cow's milk, unless it's been processed all to pieces as it is in formula. Yogurt does get some processing.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:21 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I dont know but I gave my son yogurt around 6 months as well. Probably just over paranoid moms.
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 4:22 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It's not dairy that you withhold. It's just milk and it's because of the amount of lactose and the fact that at that age, the child has more of a chance of developing an intolerance or allergy to it. They don't recommend yogurt until 9 months now, but yogurt has less lactose and more of the beneficial intestinal bacteria than plain milk does.
    Anonymous

• I've heard of not giving MILK until age one but not dairy. My dd has yogurt all the time. Your not suppose to give milk until 1 because it doesnt have the proper nutrients that formula/breast milk would have. and the reason things are different than 30 years ago is because people are more educated then were then so we know certain things about allergies and what not.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Yes I also fed both my kiddos yogurts and cheeses before a year old, and they handled it well. But I def waited till the "appropriate" time before I started milk.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I think its because young babies wont get enough vitamins and supplements from just cow's milk. Breast milk and formula contain enough of what your child needs. They do make yogurt for babies, I gave it to my daughter when she was 6 or 7 months old but she still had formula everyday.
    I am not a doctor though so anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong?
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 4:24 PM on May. 10, 2010

• thanks so much!!! i was just curious and i got alot of good info!!!
    dankaz

Answer by dankaz at 4:28 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My doc said dairy as in cheese and yogurt is ok after 8 months. No milk till a year though. Milk has a very high protiens that the little immature digestive systems cant handle till a year. And they need the nutrients that formula has that milk does not.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:32 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Their digestive systems aren't strong enough to process cow milk. Most dairy products are okay usually after six months, but milk is a lot harder to digest for young children then say cheese.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:08 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Not dairy, just milk is not OK till 1 yr. old. I give my child yogurt and cheese since he turned 9 months because the pedi approved it. Milk is hard to digest for little stomachs.
    mypreciousbabe

Answer by mypreciousbabe at 6:56 PM on May. 10, 2010