Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How easy is it to get Mold/Mildew off of wood?

I am almost 5 months pregnant with my 2nd child. My husband and I stored our son's furniture in his brother's basement but it ended up flooding. Rather than going and getting this stuff out, we just left it and was going to let him burn the things we lost. Well, now that I am expecting another baby, I was thinking maybe we can save the crib that we used for our son. My husband said NO and said we would go buy new furniture for this baby but the cost is pretty high. So, I was wondering if any of you have ever tried to wash down wood furniture that may have been damaged due to mold or mildew and did it work for you??? Thank you for any advise!

Answer Question
 
Mrs.Remick

Asked by Mrs.Remick at 4:22 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • I haven't but I think you can get stuff at Lowe's or Home Depot to wash it off with and something to put on it to keep the mold from coming back.
    tazdvl

    Answer by tazdvl at 4:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I would let it stand on the sun to get rid of the mold. Or you could also use a hair dryer. Moisture is mold's best friend. So as long as the surface is dry...
    Energ8zr

    Answer by Energ8zr at 4:32 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I had that problem with a wood dresser that I had. I put on some rubber gloves, mixed some bleach with water, and used a sponge to scrub it really well. I did it twice to make sure I got it all. This isn't something you yourself should do, you should have your husband do it because with you being pregnant you should not be around the mold, or the bleach. Using bleach will save you money because you wont have to go out and buy something to clean it...or buy a new crib. Good luck.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Yup, what Anon above and Energ8zr said.

    There was mildew (not mold) on my son's crib when we got water in our basement. I took some bleach/water mix in a spray bottle, sprayed it down, cleaned it up and left it outside in the sun for a couple days. No problems at all with it coming back.
    mainemusicmaker

    Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:42 PM on May. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN