How did you make the transition from working to sahm?

I'm contemplating getting a part-time job rather than keeping my full-time job to start staying home with my 1 year old more. Currently my job insures both me and my daughter (my insurance is way better than my DH"s) and it pays pretty well. The days just go on and on and I'm starting to feel guilty for working full-time, not to mention that I hate not being w/ her for so many days in a row. But how do I downgrade? Right now $ is not an issue. We can shop and buy whatever we want, for the most part. How did you deal with the $$ issue and insurance? My DH's job is pretty good but the insurance sucks. Anyone go through something similar?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:54 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My insurance was better and cheaper than my Husbands (I worked for the County and he worked for the City). I didn't have much choice but to quit due to having multiples. We would have had four kids in daycare and while there would have been money left over from my paycheck not really enough to justify going on working. Due to my Husbands schedule he can work two full time jobs and still be available to spend time with the family so it just made more sense for me to resign and stay home. I miss working but it is nice to have a closer relationship with my kids. I was told my oldest never talked about me at daycare but when I stayed home on maternity leave he started talking about me more. It hurt and felt good at the same time. Now I have a close relationship with all of my kids. As for the money we just learned to adapt and adjust.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:01 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My husband and I both had high paying "fast track" careers when we married, and decided to start a family. I was a SAHM for 8 years, until this past Fall, when my younger son started full-day Kindergarten, and I went back to work as a special ed. teacher (best of all worlds--working full-time yet only when my children are in school!) While I was a SAHM I went back to school (online) and earned my state teaching certificate.

Even though my quitting cut our income basically in half, we had a number of investments, that we were able to cash in. I owned my own home before we met, and continued to rent it after we married. I moved in with my husband who owned his home. When I became a SAHM... we sold my townhouse, and lived off of our savings, cashed in some investment stocks, and my husband's salary all carried us.

I think the hardest thing for me was not having my OWN money--I hated having to "justify" what I spent money on!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:15 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Maybe your spouse should stay home

Answer by rkoloms at 6:02 PM on May. 10, 2010

• haha, no the point is that I want to spend more time with my daughter. His salary is higher anyway.
    Anonymous