what kind of habit is this?

My ds started this habit of opening his mouth every so often as if trying to stretch his jaw or pop it I ask him to please stop but he doesn't I ask him can you control it he says yes but doesn't. He just started to do this 2 weeks ago off and on but now even more :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on May. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• does it pop?? I don't know my son has been doing this forever, he's only 2-1/2 and at this point done teething but you would think he's getting more molars or something..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on May. 10, 2010

• does he pop his jaw? sometimes mine hurts until i do that and pop it
    Anonymous

• OP HERE no he just does it just to do it...idk?
    Anonymous

• I had a friend who did this. He would keep opening his mouth like he was popping his jaw but he really wasn't. He did that for awhile and then started doing some other like, like constantly puckering his lips for no reason. It was always 1 continuous thing for awhile, then a different one. Turns out he has mild ticks...some kind of disorder. I didn't want to freak you out or anything by saying that but I was just telling you my experience.
    Anonymous

• My son has tourettes.... we started to notice things like this around 5 yrs old. 

Don't ask him to stop - he cant (if he has the same issue). But take note of when it happens and how often. Also look for other ticks.... like eye blinking, throat clearing, anything that seems just a hint off. Keep track of them.  Bring you list and concerns to your doctor for an evaluation.

My son is now 15 and we have seen a HUGE variety of ticks.... really it isnt too hard to deal with.

Best of luck!

Anonymous

• yeah, my son has also developed "tics". His main thing right now is is twisting neck and jerking his head. He also makes a grunting, clearing throat, type nose. I have been taking note of when he does it, how often, and what he is doing. We also is a toe walker..... SOME things are just that tics. OTHER TIME they are just habits. Motoring and taking note of when, how long, and what they are doing is going to help show if it's a habit or tic.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 6:40 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I have a thing about curling my upper lip up towards my nose.. My sister does this thing with her chin...
    i wouldnt stress too much about it unless it is disrupting life or something..
    Anonymous

• My dd (age 6) had a habit of making this slight throat clearing noise over and over again. It became such a habit, that she didn't even realize when she was doing it, until I would point it out. I would just make her aware that she was "making that noise again" and ask her to stop. Eventually she broke the habit. When I was a kid, I remember doing strange little things like that too, but I eventually out grew them. I also tend to have a mild OCD type personality. So this could just be his personality.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 8:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

• On the positive side hes just doing it to get a reaction or a childhood tic. My 6 y/o cousin started taking in short breaths, like when you suck in air,as if you were trying to hold ur breath. So he would do this inbetween words when talking. It was strange to listen to and annoyed his mother. After about 18 months it was almost gone. He was definetly suffering from a tic. On the more negitive side this could be a movement disorder, Oromandibular Dystonia. The symtoms include spasms of the jaw, either sustained clenching or more forceful opening and closing action.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 2:37 AM on May. 11, 2010