When do most women start lactating?

Im almost 35 weeks and still haven't really begun to lactate. Ive read that some women start lactating as early as 20 weeks. Should I be concerned or is this normal for some women?

Asked by jessicarae787 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I started at 14 weeks, totally sucked! but my friend didn't start until 40 weeks, which scared her! I think it's normal. Everyone's body is different. You can probably drink Mother's Milk Tea to help!

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• All expecting women start producing milk during their second trimester. Some leak soon, some don't. Your body is producing milk right now, you're just lucky enough (lol) to not have it leaking out of you yet. Many women go until the birth of their child without ever leaking, and that's completely normal.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 2:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You don't start producing milk until about a week after you have your baby. Anything your seeing now is called colostrum and its the high calorie and very good stuff for your newborn. You will know for sure when your milk comes in. Mine came in 3 days after my daughter was born.

Answer by amp83 at 2:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I didn't leak at all during pregnancy and I didn't start lactating until about a week after the baby was born. Then it was about 2 weeks until it stopped.

Answer by NoJo at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You do not produce milk until after the baby is born ( for most)
    You do make very small ammounts of colostrum, but I am talking drops. The baby actually causes your body to produce milk, and they will drink the gradually larger ammount of colostrum for the first couple days as it turns into milk.
    While I was pregnant the most that ever happened was a couple of drops would come out of my nipples and that only happened a couple times. If you where not wearing a bra you might be able to see it but it was a very very little ammount, nothing I would concider lactating.

Answer by libbykate at 3:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Sorry for the mistake, when I said "milk" I did mean colostrum. I just figured that much was common knowledge.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 4:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I never leaked. Just make sure you offer the newborn baby the breast often so they can help your body reconize the need for milk.

Answer by Samantha99985 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2008