Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does aybody out there have any special needs family members or being Legal Guardians in a residence and how do you feel about it because my niece who's Autistic is getting out of hand in the household with no respect for anybody's things or herself for that matter,I've been taking care of her for 25 years and I'm 44r years and have never had a life of my own?

Answer Question

Asked by mommys1luv at 5:39 PM on May. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 7 (162 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Are you sure it's autism? I have never heard of stealing being an autistic thing. But kleptomania is a symptom in pader-willi syndrome.  But, yes if you can't handle it bring her somewhere where they can.


    Answer by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I have never heard of stealing being an autistic thing.

    -where does she say anything about stealing??

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Have you looked into a group home environment for her? I have a cousin with Downs, he moved into a group home when he was 19. He loves the "independence" and my aunt is able to have time to herself now. It has worked out very well for everyone, he has been there for more than 10 years now. I have an autistic stepson who is 13, we have similar issues with him, along with major meltdowns. It's trying for everyone.

    Answer by Scuba at 6:24 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I have a son living with autism, and this is my greatest fear~ not finding him a caregiver that meets or exceeds my standards for him in the event I can no longer care for him. He's almost 12, and we are dealing with the typical almost teenager issues~disrespect, agression, etc. I hope things get better for you soon. Good luck.

    Answer by Robsmommy at 6:32 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Anon #2 The question was edited. But if your going to change the question then delete the old one and post a new one.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:47 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • You need to contact social services for your area and request information about available waivers & group housing or institutions designed to support inviduals like your niece. You may be able to get in home services, respite care for your niece or arrange for an out of home placement. There are resources out there, you just have to find them. Your local UCP chapter may be able to help you locate resources, as well.

    My son is 15, autistic w/other medical issues, and no where near developmentally age appropriate, so my DH & I have taken steps to arrange for his care should we pass or no longer be able to care for him at home. We still hope that he'll be independent one day, but a group home is the more likely placement, so we've started looking into arrangements for that too, as well as some type of supported employment.

    Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on May. 10, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.