Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am about to be a single mom. Where do I go from here?

My husband is giving me until the end of the month to move out. If I don't then he is moving out. I have a full time job but I don't make much money. What am I to do? Any advice? Please no bashing.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:17 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • Do you already know what you will do about custody? Keep in mind that most states consider you both legal guardians until you arrange something with the court. If you think you can do it amicably, then come up with a custody and child support arrangement between the two of you. My ex and I did that. However, if you can't agree on custody or you don't think he will pay child support, you should probably contact a lawyer, even if you go to Legal Aid.

    Find out if you qualify for any assistance - food stamps, daycare assistance, housing assistance and apply. That's what it's there for.

    Find a reasonable place to live. I ended up moving into an apartment around the corner from our daycare and very close to work to simplify things.

    Remember you are a great mom who will always love and provide for your children. Make sure you have a good support system in place to help you through it. Ask for help from family and friends.

    Answer by lvpenguino at 7:57 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • You take it one day at a time. It won't be as bad as you fear it will be.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • First figure out what to do with your child(ren) (daycare, etc).
    you need to figure out what you can afford to move out on your own OR where you will live.
    will you get a lawyer?? they can usually help with these things but are VERY expensive.

    good luck.

    i moved back in with my mom until i can save enough to move out.

    Answer by NOLAmommaKRYS at 6:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Get a lawyer

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:55 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I agree with rkoloms.

    Answer by Fallaya at 7:40 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • Also, there is a working single moms group on CafeMom. I went there when I went through this and it was great support and advice. I find I get the best advice without criticism from other single moms. Good luck and keep your chin up. Like someone said earlier, it will be easier than you think it will be. My ex and I get along so much better now that we don't live together.

    Answer by lvpenguino at 8:12 PM on May. 10, 2010

  • I'd sit down with him and tell him since it's HIS decision to split up then HE needs to help you figure out how to manage finances. Tell him to google his child support obligation and make sure he pays that. Get a new bank account in just your name. Can you afford to stay where you are? If you can, stay there. If not, make him pay for you a new place to live. Make sure he doesn't shut off the utilities if they are in his name. Get them put in your name. You can do this. Just plan well and you will be fine.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:28 PM on May. 10, 2010