Is this political rhetoric?

My son is a jr in high school and is running for student council. He wrote his speech today at school and had a couple of his teachers look over it and get their opinion. The last sentence of the speech was "Thank you for your time and God Bless America." He was told by one of the teachers that he needed to remove the phrase God Bless America because it is political rhetoric. He and I would like your opinion on this. Thank you!!

angie729

Asked by angie729 at 6:25 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think she is violating his rights to freedom of speech and religion, unless in some way in the schools code of conduct it is written clearly that no Deity may be named in any speech at any school function, in which case you probably signed something at the beginning of the school year acquiescing to the rules. Which means it's still bullsheet, but you should've known better.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:28 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I think it's a bit much but if he believes in it and wants it there he should tell her so

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I'd definately leave it in.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:17 PM on May. 10, 2010

• If it is important for him to say, then he should speak free. If others don't like it and they are willing to vote against him simply because of his choice of words, so be it. As long he is respectful~He shouldn't be coerced into refraining from saying what he truly believes because some teacher tells him to.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:33 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It is a little like political rhetoric. Presidents say it at the end of speeches. However, isn't running and voting for Student Council the first taste of politics?

That said, if it's something he truly believes, there is nothing wrong with it. We are guaranteed freedom OF religion by the Constitution, not freedom FROM religion. Also, we do not have a right to NOT be offended. If it offends some, so be it.
    jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 9:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• He can say whatever he feels. Student Council is political. So it is quite appropriate to my way of thinking. Unless it is something that is against the rules, like violence, the teacher should NOT be telling kids what to say..
    29again

Answer by 29again at 9:22 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It's political rhetoric. I would have told my student the same thing. A good speech has meat-- not fluff. Any moron can say "God Bless America" but a real winner with brains will use substance in his speech. The teacher isn't stifling him. The teacher is trying to teach him that buzz words and flare aren't the way to win the hearts and minds of his peers. He needs a platform, and he needs original thought.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:09 PM on May. 10, 2010

• UMM and you are basing that on the last line of the speech which is all that has been presented here? Sooo you really have no idea of the speech other then that last line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on May. 11, 2010

So if the ENTIRE speach has content and substance, you would still advise your student to take the last line out? Sounds like you are trying to push your personal agenda more so than encourage the student speak free.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 6:44 AM on May. 11, 2010