My baby hit her head! What now???

My eight month old fell and hit her head on the edge of the table. It was actually dented in. When I rubbed it, the dent came out but the spot turned white. She cried right away and for a little while. I am nervous about it though. Are there any nurses, doctors, or mommies experienced with this situation, that can help me figure out what to do?

Mameech1

Asked by Mameech1 at 7:12 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Help her put an ice pack on it, don't let her go to sleep, look at her pupils and make sure they're both the same size and watch for any behavioral differences. If anything changes you need to get her to the emergency room. Chances are she's got a bump on the nugget and will be fine.
    GL and this is only mom advice.
    Anonymous

• I've always heard that if it's a dent you should go to the er and get it checked out because a dent could mean a fracture.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:21 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I've always been told a dent = ER. A goose egg type bump is what you want to see because they means the swelling is going out and not in.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:19 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Because there was an actual indentation I would reccomend that you take her somewhere in to be seen. Call your pedi office ( a lot of them offer a 'help' line) on your way to the ER. Check her eyes for a concussion, watch for unsual beahviour, sleepiness, or vomiting.

Good luck momma!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 8:53 PM on May. 10, 2010

• JThank you all for the answers but i ust wanted to clarify... there was a dent but after i rubbed it the indent became smooth. Now there is a bump. Does that mean she is ok?
    Mameech1

Answer by Mameech1 at 9:11 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It could still be "dented" and the swelling could have "filled" the dent. You shuld go get it checked out. It could be fractured.
    Anonymous

• Anon above is totally right. Since it's the day after her fall, I'm hoping you took her to a dr yesterday.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 11:05 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with ThrivingMom...dents aren't to be taken casually, an ER trip should be in your immediate future if you've not yet gone!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:40 PM on May. 11, 2010