giving baby rice cereal??

when did you start rice cereal with your LO?
how old were they? did you give it in a bottle, or in a bowl with a spoon?
did you wait for a certain age? or did you wait until they were ready? (my "what to expect" book says to wait until they dont try and push the food out of their mouth)

and at what age did you start the gerber purees?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I skipped rice cereal. It's tasteless, and can be constipating. I waited until my daughter was 6 months old to give her any solid foods. Her first meal was baked sweet potato. Jarred foods are actually kind of icky tasting, and I only used them when we had to travel and I didn't have real home cooked food available. It was way cheaper just to do it myself.
    Anonymous

• With my son I didn't give cereal until he was 5 months and it was only because his pediatrician recommended it. We started off one time a day for 3 weeks and then 2 times a day, and we started purees the same same way, I think we tried squash for three weeks, then a different veggie every 3 weeks until we worked our way through the veggies then the fruit. We only gave the cereal and purees out of bowels because that is what our pediatrician told us to do. As for the chunky baby food and puffs my son didn't want any part of them until he was about 11 months old and the transition to real solid food was slow.

MiddletonFamily

Answer by MiddletonFamily at 7:33 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Cereal in the bottle is a choking hazard!
    Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on May. 10, 2010

• 6months with a spoon.
    Anonymous

• My pediatrician started my son on rice cereal at 4 months. She wanted me to do cereal for 2 weeks and then start the purees. So i did and he did great. And i never put anything but formula in his bottle.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:22 PM on May. 10, 2010

• American Academy of Pediatrics recommends not to start any solids until 6 months old. By waiting until 6 months you help prevent allergies.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:36 PM on May. 10, 2010