How can I get my 2 year old toddler girl to brush her teeth?

aaaAAGGHH ! Im afraid she is going to get cavities. She has a 3 year old sister that is always eating candy. We live with my mom and she wont stop buying her candy! So everytime one has candy the other one wants some too. I am constantly hiding candy or throwing it away! Whenever I try to brush the 2 year olds teeth she doesn't get that the toothbrush is supposed to be going back and forth and she just sucks on it and then tries to run through the house with it. PLEASE HELP! How can I make it seem fun instead of like torture? thanks!

SullenGirl

Asked by SullenGirl at 7:25 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I buy my son those tooth brushes for kids that are spin brushes and he loves them. I also buy the Little Bear tooth paste. He brushes his teeth on his own for a little bit and then I finish it for him.
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 7:32 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My dd is 3.5 & I still brush her teeth first & then let her have a go at it.. If i let her brush her teeth alone she would have 4 really bright nice teeth up front & the rest would rot.. lol Also try brushing your teeth with your kids so they can see how you are doing it..

Also try singing this song with them "Brush Your Teeth"  DD loves to sing it.

There is also a Dr. Seuss book about teeth that is kinda funny..

MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 7:32 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Two is much too young to be able to brush her own teeth well. Give her a doll or stuffed animal with a toothbrush, and you can brush your babies's teeth together.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:35 PM on May. 10, 2010

• show her some pictures of what will happen if she doesn't brush her teeth
    Anonymous

• I brush my 19 month old's teeth first, too, then let her hold the toothbrush and do it. I didn't know there was a "Brush Your Teeth" song, so we've been singing the Ipana toothpaste commercial song from Grease! But singing helps.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I told my 3 yr old that he would get boo boo's on his teeth and that seemed to do the trick although I definately have to help him. And like the poster above suggested, I also use one of those spinning toothbrushes.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:38 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Find a song that she likes and sing it while you're brushing, and when the song is over you're done brushing. Hope this helps a bit! :-)

Best Wishes!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:39 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My kids are 5 and 3, we recently went to a pediatric dentist who told us that until kids are about 8 years old they can't brush their own teeth properly....she can try all she wants and its good to let her, but you have to get in there to do the job right... For my 3 year old the dentist told us to do this: one of us sits on the toilet with him in our lap holding down his arms and securing him while the other brushes his teeth, he may scream and cry but after a few times he'll just know that fighting won't make a difference and he'll go with it...guess what? It totally worked...it was not fun at first but now he just opens wide and lets us brush no problem....good luck.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:03 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I brush my teeth at the same time, so while I'm holding her toothbrush brushing her teeth...she's holding my toothbrush and brushing my teeth! :) She thinks it's fun!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:27 PM on May. 10, 2010

• pick out a tooth paste with a cartoon character she likes on it. My son has spongebob toothpaste and he loves it. Let her pick it out. I couldn't believe that this worked for me and my 2 1/2 year old son, but it did.
    Also, I remind him to brush his "back teeth" while I brush with him.
    Anonymous