Did you get your doctor a gift after they delivered your baby?

With our first child we gave my obgyn a $30 gift card to bath and body works but we had the money then and now I feel bad just handing my doctor a thank you card with no gift. My mom said she never gave her doctors anything but a thank you card cause she says there doctors and have plenty of money lol but I look at it a little different then her. I mean they did deliver my child!! Right? So did you get your doctor anything?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well I view it like your mom. Its their job and yes they get paid big bucks to do their job. I never gave them anything. I appreciate their surfice but we barely could afford baby items little alone a gift for the doctor!
    Anonymous

• just a thank you card and his welcome picture
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:43 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Nope. Why?

The OB who attended my first child's birth was awful. I didn't know him.

The OB who helped with my second child's birth, I don't knwo from Adam (baby was born at home and we were transported shortly thereafter).

So I didn't know either OB and the midwives I saw during my second pregnancy weren't on call anyway. Why would I give any of those people a gift?

I'm not thankful or grateful those people were there. The first gave me mild PTSD and the second just helped a little with the placenta and never saw me again.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 7:47 PM on May. 10, 2010

• lol no, I paid the bill, that's all I could afford! :)
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 7:49 PM on May. 10, 2010

• No.
    ME, MYSELF, and I BIRTHED my babies. They weren't delivered.

I do still talk to my MW on a weekly basis though, Sandy is AWESOME!!!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Not a thing. I HATED my first doc with a passion, and would have rather punched him in the face than gift him with ANYTHING. I'd never met the second one (transferred to a different hospital during labor), and frankly had never heard of this until a few months ago. (My kids are 8 and 6.)

debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 7:52 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I did not. I didnt know I was supposed to. I have never heard of it before.
    Anonymous

• I agree I had never hear of giving anything to your doctors except maybe pictures. Although I was told my new ob gives out a porcelain shoe with the baby's time and date of birth with pink or blue colors on it depending on what you have, when I heard this I started thinking about if and what I should get him when I have this baby.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 7:59 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I didn't have a regular OB for my first, and delivered with a midwife that I'd never met before anyway. I don't see the need to give a doctor a gift anyway, though, and don't plan on giving mine this time around anything but a thank you picture. Not because I don't like him (he's a GREAT doctor and awesome at his job), but because it IS his job and he's getting paid VERY well for it. I don't give my regular doctor gifts for doing her job. I don't tip the cashier at the supermarket for doing his job. I don't expect to be given gifts for doing MY job.
    Anonymous

• I dropped off a thank you card and birth announcement pic so she could post on her wall. Come to think of it i never did get my daughters pic taken with my doctor like i did with my son for his baby book.
    She was just happy we had an easy delivery.
    little_lucky

Answer by little_lucky at 8:05 PM on May. 10, 2010