Rice Cereal at 4 months

My son is now 4 months old, he seems very eager to eat and as soon as he tasted the rice cereal (which i thinned a lot w/ formula) and he now grabs my hand to get the cereal to eat he seems to love it! However my dr. said I should never use solids until 5 1/2 months, but my son already sits with little support, holds self up on elbows while on his tummy, he knows when to stop eating formula (32 oz or more a day now), and he also can put a lot of weight on his legs and hold himself up pretty well, not to mention staring and grabbing at my food....to me it seems he is ready to explore the world of solids, so I would rather have advice from moms....too early as doctor said or go w/ my gut? When did you start solids?.....

Also....water and 4 month olds...thoughts?

JennaJ721

Asked by JennaJ721 at 7:48 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your the Mom... do what you think is best. I gave both my kid rice cereal at 4 months b/c they were HUNGRY!!! My kids were both eating 36+ oz. of formula at that point, and it just want cutting it for them. If you give him some and he's not having and poop issues then he's probably fine... I'd give it to him if it were me. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 7:51 PM on May. 10, 2010

• We started my now two-year-old on cereal and rapidly progressed to stage 1 baby foods when she was barely 4 months old. She wouldn't take a bottle, and I had to work, so we had no choice but to try something else. She ate it, the baby-sitters were happier, and she's now happy and very healthy. Never had a problem, and when I told the Dr. he was all for it.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 7:52 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Water- unnecessary. If he's thirsty, give him formula.

As for the rice cereal, it has no nutritional value. If he is able to hold himself up on his own, and you don't have to shove the food to the back of his throat, if he doesn't get constipated, excess gas or other tummy problems, then he's quite possibly read. The rule of thumb is 6 months to be safe for his tummy being more mature AND to lessen the risk of allergic reactions. HOWEVER, until the child is 1 year old, he should still be getting the bulk (like 95%) of his nutrition from breast milk or formula. Foods until then are just for exploration and practice.
    Anonymous

• Thanks, I feel like he is ready...he shows all the signs and seems to love the stuff...i'm still slowing it down to see how bowel movements go, I only started yesterday....now, does anyone give their baby water to help w/ constipation or just thirst? any advice (i'm a first time mom lol)
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 7:56 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Also...i've only given him maybe 1 tbs( if even that) twice a day...not a lot, just to try a little a couple times a day
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 8:00 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My pediatrician says to start rice cereal any time after 4 months but before 6 months.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:08 PM on May. 10, 2010

• skip the water but cereal is fine. give him a few weeks to get used to that before introducing fruits and veggies one at a time. every baby is different, if he's ready, he's ready. if he's constipated, try a tablespoon or so of apple juice, sometimes apple sauce works, too. my 4 month old is getting cereal for the first time tomorrow, at her doc's suggestion. :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:11 PM on May. 10, 2010

• yeah i only do a little at a time and its very thinned out, im not diving him into it, but he just seems so in love with the idea of eating...in fact a half hour ago he tried to smash his hands in my lasagna lol
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 8:38 PM on May. 10, 2010

• As long as you take it easy with the cereal, baby will do great!! When you do introduce fruits and veggies later down the road, do make sure you feed veggies first! Some babies won't take to veggies if they get the sweet tooth for fruits! ...just a word of advice :)
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 8:42 PM on May. 10, 2010

• trust me i watched my friend make that mistake lol bananas before green beans didnt end well...but no i make sure he is takin it slow, but i feel hes ready to explore the world of solids, hits all the milestones perfectly (some ahead of time) strong little man..thanks everyone!
    JennaJ721

Answer by JennaJ721 at 8:50 PM on May. 10, 2010