flying with a baby?

my BF myself and our son will be traveling for phoenix to odessa ukraine in july, at the time we leave he will be 11 months old, it will be the first trip on a plane for him and im nervous about how he will be, was hoping i could get some tips that might be helpful. We will have a few stops on our way there as well as our way back but the longest part of the trip is about 9 hrs from NYC to Warsaw. Please any advice would be helpful:)

1mama2B

Asked by 1mama2B at 8:01 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my dd's first flight was when she was 3 weeks old... It depends on your son. Bring a new toy that he isn't use too... some snacks... My daughter was wonderful on those flights, but then there are those kids who scream the whole time. I usually made sure my dd had something new to play with and just little things to keep her mind going. 11 months is a little harder b/c they aren't into coloring yet and all that... like I said know what your son likes.
    Coastiegirl96

Answer by Coastiegirl96 at 8:05 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I flew with my daughter when she was that young, but never that far. If you are taking liquid (breastmilk or bottled water for formula), even diaper cream, give yourself extra time to get through security. I take my stroller right to the gate when I fly. They will stow it below for you and have it ready when you get off the plane and it's easier than carrying a baby the whole time.

I always sit at the back of the plane. You can stand if you need to and you are close to the bathroom for diaper changes. Plus the flight attendants are very helpful. I have lots of snacks ready to go so they don't take long to get out when baby is hungry. And I bring lots of books and little toys and put them on the tray for her to play with.

Our pediatrician also advised us to use a pacifier or bottle (or breast) at take off and landing. The sucking helps baby's ears adjust to changing air pressure.

lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 8:06 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I second the advice to gate-check your stroller so you will have it for your lay-overs as well. And maybe let your son move around as much as possible during your stops- walk along the chairs or windows, etc- so he might get less antsy on the plane. If I had traveled with my DD at this age for such a long trip I would have tried to get a portable DVD player. I'm not big on tv for this age but a few Baby Einsteins or Wiggles might really come in handy after a few hours. Hopefully he will also be interested in all the activity on the plane and that will keep his attention for a while too. And it is true that most people, especially airport/airplane staff, are really helpful when they see someone travelling with a baby. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:47 PM on May. 10, 2010

• yeah, i flew with my son when he was 2, a 14 hour flight and all the above advice is great! be prepared to get up and walk the aisles, i'ts good for both of you. on our long trip we were lucky to get an airline that had personal movie players in each seat, plus the novelty of being in the airplane for the first time kept him kind of busy for a little while. Definitely make sure he has something to suck while you're taking off/landing, and hopefully you'll be able to get him to sleep some!! Another good idea is to go to a bookstore & find a book about planes... i have one that's a story about 2 kids flying, what happens during the flight, different parts of the plane. Even at 11 mo. he might be able to identify a few things if you point them out in the book then on the actual plane. Read for a week or 2 before the flight and take the book with you, and maybe get him his own little toy plane to play with
    Good luck and have fun
    Anonymous