Do you think people who are surviving on respirator machines, etc are only alive for...

their loved ones benefit or theirs?

Everytime I see a person (whether it's a child or an old person or anyone) on a machine, they can barely function and hardly do anything for themselves, I often think that the person keeping them alive is being selfish. I know it's cruel to say, but I find it worse to keep a person who is close to death, chained to a machine or in bed than it is to just let them go. I think, in these cases, the loved ones are being selfish.

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Health

• Maybe so or maybe hope springs eternal for them they think they are going to see their loved ones again. Even when there is no hope the human animal pushes onward.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:19 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Well, if the person can live comfortably and not as a vegetable or in a coma, then I don't see a problem prolonging life with machines. But I've got it written in my living will that if I am brain dead or completely comatose, I do NOT want to be on machines.
    Anonymous

• i hope it's never me, i hope i can atleast find a way to unplug the sucker and have some dignity...something some people will never get. if i can't wipe my own butt indefinitely i really don't want to live that life.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:20 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I hear people who have family members on machines, that it is "god's will" to keep them alive. If it were God's will to keep them alive, they wouldn't need a machine. THey wouldn't be strapped to a bed for the rest of their lives. I think God's will in these cases is to let them go or if they can survive they will.
    Anonymous

• I am a nurse and have seen many people on machines. Most are on for a small amount of time, time to allow the body to heal or time for the resp. issue to resolve with meds etc.. Some people on machines are due to temp. illness, so it is hard to say what amount of time a person needs. Most people on vents are heavily sedated so they don't fight the machine. It is not a comfortable feeling something breathing for you, it is unnatural and the body trys to fight it. The ones that have little to no chance of coming out of the illness as they were before, well the families have a hard time letting go.. They still hold on to hope that the person will come out of it. The others have a hard time deciding to pull the plug and ultimately killing their loves ones. It is a hard thing to live with even when it is for the best.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:08 PM on May. 10, 2010

• studies have proven people with no brain activity that is noticeable on the usual testing...do in fact have brain activity and try to communicate. There was a recent incident in the mid-west where a young guy was a vegetable and declared completely brain dead/coma etc. He heard EVERYTHING that happened and the discussion of his plug being pulled and he woke up after his brother in law put a pocket knife or something in his foot....I used to be all about pulling plugs. I am now personally against it due to the studies and many incidents I have come to learn about in the past two years regarding people in vegetative states....everyone deserves a chance, no one asks to be a vegetable.
    mysilentmorning

Answer by mysilentmorning at 9:14 PM on May. 10, 2010