what can I do to help my baby with his constipation?

bjw_053109

Asked by bjw_053109 at 8:22 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• how long has he been constipated for?
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 8:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• my dd has severe constipation the doc told me to give her prunes and prune juice, i gave it to her twice a day every day (juice and food) i don't suggest both twice a day, but on or the other
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:26 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My dd has servere constipation as well, she has had it since she was 2 weeks old the drs put her on one kind of meds and it dident do anything for her but she was still suffering so we recently brought her to another peditriction and he took her off the ohter med and put her on lax-a-day. and she hasent had a problem sence. i would recomend you briing her to you pedi and see what he had to say, adn if she has been constipated for a while, i would recomend that you insist that she get a x-ray on her bowels to make sure they are not stretched, my dd's bowels are stretched so big that the pedi. says it could take a year and a half before it goes back to normal!
    Good luck to you and your baby
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 8:30 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Are you sure that he is constipated? Breastfed babies can go more than a week without a bowel movement

Answer by rkoloms at 9:06 PM on May. 10, 2010

• my baby has been constipated since she was little tiny. so now she will hold it in for days!! drives me crazy. i have talked to everyone i know encluding her ped. she says toddlers hold there poop because of control issues. wtf. i have been giving her this stuff called
    pedia-laz
    liquid glycerin suppositories

it comes in a little box and it is made by fleet.
    it works very good. if she seems to be struggleing and grumpy then i giver her one and she goes with in a few minutes to a few hours.
    it is a little bulb with stuff in it. you put it in :( and squeeze. it will soften up the poo inside and make it easier to come out. my ped says not to do it to often. i have to do it every few weeks or she wont go. good luck! : ( i know it sucks to see them hurting. i have gotten all the way to tears before just holding her and comforting her! :(
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 9:16 PM on May. 10, 2010

• How is the baby fed, breast or formula? When the baby goes is it hard, dry and pellet like or soft? If it's soft it's not constipation. Small babies will strain to poop because they don't have good bowel control.
    If it is true constipation I would look for the cause, is the baby taking vitamins? Have you just started solids? If the baby is formula fed, getting vitamins and/or taking solids that is an iron overload and will cause constipation.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 9:47 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My 3 year old got that way, but it wasn't actually constipation most of the time. He would go 10 days at a time sometimes with out a bm. He was breast fed. But what our dr said to do was to give him apple juice... Depending on baby's age I would do 1 oz juice to 2 oz water - pure juice. Or 2 oz juice to 3 oz water. If baby is old enough to eat finger foods, you can do raisins. Just a few at a time once or twice a day. Good luck!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:18 PM on May. 10, 2010

• He's formula fed. Almost a year old eats mostly solids/table foods very little formula in his diet anymore. Yes it's constipation he hasn't gone in a couple of days now. He usually has at least 1 a day.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 1:26 PM on May. 11, 2010

• Is he getting enough fluids?
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 3:14 PM on May. 11, 2010