Why are we the only country that censors television?

I think parents rely too much on the FCC to protect our children from hearing and seeing things they shouldn't, but isn't that OUR job to keep them from hearing and seeing things like that? Not theirs? I see other countries don't censor and I don' t know how the parenting is, but I would guess that they take their children out of the room if something inappropriate is on television or else they explain to them what it means.

I dunno. I just thought of this from another question.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• did China stop?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:37 PM on May. 10, 2010

• We are far from the only country that censors. Some may have looser regulation but I doubt there are ANY that have no censorship at all.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 8:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Are we????
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• We're not the only country that censors television shows. But I do agree that it is a parent's job to decide which shows they feel are appropriate for their children to view.
    AnamCara1

Answer by AnamCara1 at 8:53 PM on May. 10, 2010

• The BBC in the UK has different levels of censorship for different hours of the day just like we do.
    Anonymous

• Other countries censor. They just censor in different ways. They tend to be more open about sex, but they don't allow political stuff, or things that go "against" the government. For instance, SNL would not be allowed in most countries...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:59 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I wouldn't mind if we became the only country that banned tv. The mind-numbing-drug has replaced so many worthwhile activities, dumbed down three generations (to the point where some will go get food stamps so they can use their money to keep the boob tube on instead of feeding themselves, which is truly dumb), it's proven to contribute to several disorders in children (and the numbers are soaring), and it's made actual parenting a joke. When adults actually plan their schedules around which shows are on, it's a given that their children are going to grow up far more addicted.

I'm sorry ~ probably NOT the answer you were hoping for ~ but its the best I can do. I dumped cable and haven't missed it (or the bill) for years now.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 9:15 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I disagree.......TV has some extremey valuable,educational channels. ANd even if a show seems to be "shallow" or extremely silly or controversial, it gives parents an opportunity to discuss the issues and see what their kids understand or don't understand. My kids and I have had some good talks and they have surprised me with some very intelligent and mature views. It is never good to hide from the world. It s a symptom of fear and a sign you don't think your children are capable of intelligent and discerning thought. I do draw the line at some of the semi-pornographic Cable shows,though,and I think we all do.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:26 PM on May. 10, 2010

• we're not
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:31 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I highly doubt any other country watches as much TV as we do here in America. Its probably not even that big of a deal to have bad things on TV because kids are outside playing instead of inside watching it.
    Anonymous