How likely is pregnancy on Mirina?

I got the IUD back in the end of December, a couple months after my son was born. It has been a little over 4 months. I am now a week late for my period, which has been dead on since 6 weeks PP. The last week I have also been very exhausted. Then, two days ago, I started getting dizzy and nauseous which has resulted in vomiting as well. I can barely keep anything down and smells are stronger than ever, but other than that I feel fine. I feel exactly like I did when I was pregnant the first time! For my first I got a positive a week before my expected period, but so far I have yet to get a positive. How likely is it to get pregnant on an IUD? I called my OB, but cannot get an appointment with her for another 4 weeks. Is there a risk of being pregnant with an IUD if I am? Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It is possible that it's slipped out of position or fallen out altogether if you can't feel it. My SIL has 4 little girls, 3 as a result of a lost, shifted, and misplaced IUD. Worth calling your OB and just asking, anyway.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:52 PM on May. 10, 2010

• The mirena made me have every pregnancy symtom known to man! I wasted a lot of money of pregnancy tests.....I'd wait a while!
    Anonymous

• Periods aren't on a normal schedule for me since I have had the IUD. I have had it over a year now and my periods very... one time it will just be a few spots.. the next a 3 day period. The IUD is suppose to be the most effective way to prevent pregnancy but nothing is 100% effective. When I first got the IUD I didn't have a period for a while.. I can't remember how long but they say it can make you stop having periods or it can make your periods worse. So give it a little longer... and take a test just to make sure. Check to make sure you can feel the string still too! It can come out.. especially having a kid.

Coastiegirl96

Answer by Coastiegirl96 at 8:51 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It could be possible that you are having a period, just a really light one. I no longer notice my period, except for a change of smell down there. If you can find the strings, you are most likely not pregnant.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:57 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Mirena messes with your periods. If you think you are preg. you should try to get in with any dr. right away.
    It is not very likely to get preg. while on Mirena, however.
    Anonymous

• The actually failure rate is .01%. With that said I know 2 people who did get pregnant. One had the IUD removed and continued on and had a successful pregnancy. The other girl had it removed and the product of conception was too close to the IUD and came out with it. Both IUD's were placed correctly. I on the other hand had it for 3 years and had no period after the first year. Most of that first year I only had random spotting.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:13 PM on May. 10, 2010

• well...i had my IUD in for a year and got preg. on it....and it was still in place so i must be in that 0.1%. It was still in place when my OB took it out and she said that hubbys sperm must have gotten past the IUD.....so its not likely one will get preg. with an IUD in, but i did and just gave birth to the baby i gor preg with an IUD in about 3 weeks ago. BTW...i didnt get a positive result with this last preg. until i was almost 7 weeks pregnant. I dont think it had anything to do with the IUD but i cant be sure.
    Anonymous