What do you do when?

Your dd wants to help you in the kitchen I mean there are times where I just want to knock it all out if I let her do it I would take more time on that chore I tell her wait till mommy finishes here and there then I will call you to help sometimes she waits sometimes she stands there and helps anyway I feel like she is in my way even though I know she is trying to help mommy. What do you do ladies I don't want to keep saying no no and then when she becomes a teenager she is not going to want to do anything. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on May. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have two boys (ages 8 and 6), who like to help me cook/bake. What I do is prepare and measure out all of my ingredients (like they do on cooking shows), then all I have to do is ask them to help me by adding the ingredients as I need them, and letting them help blend/stir (I usually let them do that part for a minute or two, then I "finish it up!"

They get the satisfaction of being able to help, I'm able to teach them a few things, and everyone is happy! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My son loves to cook too, but it definitly is messy and time consuming. Try to pick a certain day of the week or meal that you can cook together.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:46 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Put a dropcloth on the floor, and let your child help! Look at this as a learning and bonding opportunity, not as something troublesome.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:54 PM on May. 10, 2010

• If he asks if he can help and he doesn't have a cold or something, and I have time, he is allowed to help. Other times I simply tell him, I really want to get this done quickly today and I can't have you help me. It works. He gets it. He knows how to do a lot of kitchen things for his age (6) so it's not like when I tell him he CAN'T help that he's completely losing out and that I'm hindering him in learning. He gets to help some other time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on May. 12, 2010