So it's okay to have sex but checking your cervix with a finger could cause infection?

I'm sure that my husband's wing wing is much longer than a finger. It has to be poking around in the cervix area. I just want to understand how is that any different from a clean finger checking for dilation? I'm a little slow....lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i checked my cervix when i was pregnant...don't let the medical communities fool you...women have been examining their bodies since the beginning.
    Anonymous

• Please... a penis without doubt has more bacteria and germs on it than a clean finger... Not to mention there is a size difference and force difference... I would say if you have long nails, trim them before you try this, but otherwise, go for it... I had a doctor that told me to check it from time to time because I dilated so super early... And staid that way til I was 42wks...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• OMG SabrinaMBrown, I agree with you 100%. I don't check myself but I've heard so many women refuse a check from the Dr because of the risk of infection. Well, I suppose it's a free country and each woman can make her own choice.
    Anonymous

• Check yourself. The only time theres a risk for infection is if your membranes are ruptured. lol.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:25 PM on May. 10, 2010

• think about it, your fingers touch SO much stuff all day, every day GERMS! what does a penis touch? not nearly as much as your hands.

Not to mention the penis isn't actually probing and prodding, just a bit of bumping into the cervix with the soft head. A penis has no finger nail to scratch with. And really, do you actually know the proper way to measure that?
    Anonymous

• Yes, a finger can carry many germs...thank goodness for Antibacterial soap!!! Wash your hands before, and i'm sure you'll be fine. A doc I used to work for taught women how to do their own paps! There is no shame in getting to know your body. Besides, when your doc is checking your cervix for dilation, they DO NOT use STERILE gloves! Germs can get on those too!

And I don't know about your DH's "wing wing" (LOL!) but my DH's does a lot more than just a little bit of slight bumping! It actually HURTS my cervix!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:29 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I was always told to use a condom after like the 4th or 5th month to prevent an infection.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:21 AM on May. 11, 2010