leaving yoru child home alone

At what age did you start leaving your child home alone. How long did you leave them when you first started out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on May. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think you can legally leave a child home alone until they're at least 12 years old. My daughter is only 22 months, so of course, she has never been home alone.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:51 PM on May. 10, 2010

• in texas it is legal to leave them by themselves at 10 but if you are living other children then the oldest has to be 14
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 9:53 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I believe in California they have to be at least 12. I did start leaving my oldest home for short periods at that age, and by age 14 he was babysitting his brothers when I left on occasion.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:19 PM on May. 10, 2010

• my parents started leaving my brothers and I at home alone when i was 5, oldest sibling was 8 but he is mentally handicap (seriously) my nest brother was 7. I won't start doing it till mine are at lease in junior high, even then I'll pay a neighbor to just pop in and check on them every once and a while till they show they are responsible enough to stay home without supervision or they are 16.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:23 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Some states have no law on age. I have a 10 yr old and he stays home alone during the day...the longest has been 3 hours. I make sure a neighbor will be home and that he can call if he needs any thing. So far he has done very well, doors stay locked, no one in and no one out until I get home. If the phone rings he checks the caller ID before he answers, if its not family he doesnt answer.
    mbc324

Answer by mbc324 at 11:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I think my youngest was about 12. I was a little worried about him...he was just a silly kid. His two older sisters were responsible enough to be left alone but he drove them crazy. LOL. So, I figured I wouldn't leave them all home alone.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:53 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My older 2 are 10 & 12. I can and do leave them home alone for up to an hour. They are responsible kids. Their little brother is 5 and we have not yet left him alone with them. We were considering leaving all of them after the little one goes to bed - dh and I can go get an ice cream or something and the older ones can watch a movie. Our state doesn't have a law, just a suggested age of 12 & "know your child."
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:00 AM on May. 11, 2010

• 10. That's the legal age here where I am. At 12 they can legally babysit siblings. My older boys (11 and 13) have been home alone for 4 or 5 hours, with me calling every 30 minutes to check in on them. They got irritated lol. My oldest has watched my DD for about 30 minutes at a time a couple times but we're not comfortable with him babysitting for a longer time until he gets the red cross babysitting course. My boys are very mature for their age though, they handle emergencies well, know what to do in emergency situations, can can easily microwave food, make sandwiches, etc. They always have the number of a close friend, and they also are not allowed to answer the phone unless it is myself or my husband calling, and they can't answer the door in any circumstance. They know the rules, they follow them well, and we've never had any issues. But, I do feel safer living on a military installation. Off base, I wouldn't do it yet.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:01 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My oldest was 12 and my youngest was 7 (the other 2 were 10 and 8) the first time we left them all home alone. It was for a couple of hours and my mom and both sisters lived 1 street over so they had someone close enough in an emergency. The first time we went away over night and left my oldest in charge w/a friend (17yo female friend who is still like a sister to my 23, 22, 19 and 18yo sons) helping was when my oldest was 17 and the other 3 were 15, 13 and 11. We had neighbors watching out for them, too....the neighbors on either side of us knew we were gone & 3 neighbors across from us knew as well PLUS we had a friend who is a police officer who checked in on them as well). My kids have always been very responsible and they know the rules and the consequences for their actions....they knew we'd kill them socially (ground them) for the rest of their lives at home if they messed up & they knew we'd find out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 AM on May. 11, 2010

• my 14 year old stays home by himself my 10&7 year old dont stay with him they stay at grandmas i think it really depends on where u live & what kinda neighborhood u have around u my son also knows the rules
    no friends
    keep door locked
    no cooking on stove
    must carry cell with him
    no pool
    we have never had any problems
    aszmom

Answer by aszmom at 10:42 AM on May. 11, 2010