Thinking about starting sign language with an 11 month old, too late? Any tips

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nope... I recommend it... Works great..... My son knows basics and learn to read he is 14months. Now is the perfect time.
    christinkie

Answer by christinkie at 9:48 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It is absolutely not too late. But don't worry if they don't take to it. Just continue to read to baby and talk in 'real' tones too. Explain everything to baby as you do it to help with vocab. No worries if baby doesn't start 'talking' for another year or two!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 9:49 PM on May. 10, 2010

• My son is 10 months and we're working on it with him. I love that he is starting to be able to communicate with me in ways other than crying and grunts.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 9:55 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I STARTED WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS 3 1/2 MTH OLD. IT WORKS GREAT. SHE IS NOW 2 AND STILL CAN SIGN. SHE STARTED SIGNING WHEN 5 MTH OLD AND NOBODY WOULD BELIEVE ME UNTIL THEY SAW IT. SHE STARTED TALKING VERY EARLY. i ALSO READ BOOKS WITH HER SHE LOVES THEM!! WHEN YOU SIGN TO YOUR SON, MAKE SURE YOU ARE TALKING TO HIM WHEN SIGNING. THAT IS WHY SOME PED'S DOCTORS DO NOT LIKE SIGNING.
    Anonymous

• it's not too late.
    but i disagree with rutter momma when it comes to talking. ...if you're child isn't saying any words at all by the time he/she is 2 that is reason for concern. ...and if he/she still isn't talking by the time he/she is 3 years old then you seriously need to look into evaluation.

But don't worry. I did baby sign with my DSS. started when he was 18 months. and it helped with tantrums and all sorts of things.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:07 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Any age to start is fine. Make sure you always speak as you sign. The reason Pedis get upset about parents signing to children that are not hearing impaired is because of speech. Many people start signing..don't speak as they do. Children must HEAR speech to develope speech. So sign away. But be sure you are talking and encourage your child to 'use her words' as well as sign.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:11 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I wasn't saying NO words AT ALL by 2 or 3... But not talking in sentences that's just fine. Kids all develop at different stages. Some walk early, some not until 18 months. Some talk early, others don't have a vocabulary more than 20-30 words by age 2. As long as you know they are understanding and communicating baby is just fine.

I just think too many parents look at other babies and judge their own child's development by that. Not remembering that everyone is on a different level. Not everyone learns the same way and that IS okay. BABIES do NOT have to read... 2 year olds don't have to hold full conversations... 3 year olds don't have to converse like adults. Let our kids be KIDS.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:15 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It's definitely not to late.....www.babysigningtime.com is how we've started and we LOVE it....it's so much fun!
    bensmum25

Answer by bensmum25 at 11:03 PM on May. 10, 2010