sick baby and fever...help!!

my dd is 10 and 1/2 months old. last night she was up and down with coughing and was very congested. she couldn't breath too well. she went to sleep eventually around 1:15 am and slept till 7:15. Anyway, tonight she started to have a fever. it was 100.8. is that considered a worry? We put her to bed and she is sleeping, but I am nervous that she will get up with a bad cough again and not be able to sleep. We put the humidifier on, vaporub on chest, inclined matress, saline drops, etc. anythin else?? being new to mommyhood is not easy, it is very scary. this is her first fever (fingers crossed!!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 100.8 is nothing to worry about. My doctor said they can run a fever of 104.0 with just a minor cold. She instructed me to take my son in as soon as practical, like when they have an appointment or in the morning if this happens at night if he has a fever of 102.6 and i cant get it down, or it keeps recurring. She also said to take him to the er asap if it hits 105. I wouldnt worry. Just treat her symptomatically. And if you really feel somethings wrong, just take her in. Better safe than sorry!!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 10:13 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Most of the time the pediatrician will tell you that a fever of that grade is really nothing to worry about (I always freaked out over the slightest increase in temp) but it seems that you are doing all the right things. Check her temp in a bit just by feeling her forehead, and put a call into your pediatrician in the morning just to alert them of whats going on. ;) I hope your little one gets to feeling better soon!!!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:13 PM on May. 10, 2010

• You're not supposed to take her to the doc until a fever of 101. Until then, alternate infant tylenol and infant motrin every four hours (you can find the dosing chart by weight online) and also a luke-warm bath would probably help. If she's congested, also sit with her in the bathroom with the hot water turned all the way on in the tub and let it steam up.
    Anonymous

• 100.8 isn't that bad. She could just be teething. You are doing everything you can right now. check her about every hour or so. if it gets up to high (you are the mama you have to make that call) then take her in to the doc. A temped bath is a good way to get the fever down. Not a cold bath a little bit warmer then lukewarm.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 10:14 PM on May. 10, 2010

• A fever is usually a sign that the body is waging a war against infection

Most doctors — and the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) — agree that a normal body temperature for a healthy baby is between 97 and 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit (36 to 38 degrees Celsius). If your baby's rectal temperature is above this range, he has a fever.

You're the best judge of whether your baby is really ill, so call if you're worried, no matter what his temperature is.

I'd be more concerned about his breathing. If you suspect he is laboring breathing at all, I would call the Dr.

Best wishes for a good night:)

DisneyFanMomKim

Answer by DisneyFanMomKim at 10:17 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I WOULD CALL YOUR DOCTOR, AND TELL THEM WHAT IS GOING ON.. THIS SOUNDS LIKE WHAT MY DAUGHTER HAD, FEVER AND SOUNDED CONGESTED. I DID TAKE HER IN AND MADE SURE HER LUNGS WERE CLEAR. SO MANY THINGS GOING AROUND ALWAYS FOLLOW YOUR MOMMY GUT. I TO AM A NEW MOMMY NOT EASY.
    Anonymous

• Don't worry about the temp. I know it's hard, but a temp is actually good when your baby is sick, it means that she's fighting something off. If it gets above 103, call the dr. I am more concerned about the breathing. You are doing everything right to help her. Also try putting vick's on her feet. I know it sounds crazy, but in most people, even myself, it helps quiet coughing. If she's wheezing or having more difficulty breathing, then call the dr.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 10:57 PM on May. 10, 2010