My SO says my IUD string is hurting him?

Is that normal? I have had the mirena IUD for 3 months and the first time we had sex after getting it he said it felt like a little needle pricked him and he is still complaining about it. Today he actually had to pull out because it hurt, could there be something wrong with my IUD or do I just need the strings cut shorter or something?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Health

• I have had the mirena for about 2 years and my SO never complains about this.
    Anonymous

• I had the IUD too. I had horrible cramping and weird bleeding. After 6 months and my husband saying more than once that he felt it, I decided to get it taken out. I am now on the ring and love it. I guess for some people, it doesn't fit correctly.
    hotmama404

Answer by hotmama404 at 10:36 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I have an iud and never had a problem with that. he shouldn't be able to feel the strings... but you could ask your OB or MW. Otherwise, maybe you need osmething else... kinda sucks for what they cost! :)
    missbreezy214

Answer by missbreezy214 at 10:44 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Depending on the angle of your cerivx and the position of his penis, it is possible for him to feel it. Since this is not a new thing after 3 months, I would say that the IUD is not a good fit for you. you could have a doc check it to see that it hasn't moved and if not, then i would have it removed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:45 PM on May. 10, 2010

• In the beginning my iud string would poke me. UGH! It was so uncomfortable! I read some where that you can tuck the string up high and get the end of it in behind the cervix. I did that and it would sometimes slip back down. After a couple of months it stayed up there and doesn't bother me anymore. I am sure this would work for you too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:50 PM on May. 10, 2010

• It's not the IUD itself, it's actually the string. You just need to call your doctor and have the string cut shorter. I had to do this twice with mine.
    Anonymous