does anyone know if autism and having a low immunity connected?

my son has autism and he is consistintly getting sick. ear infections, constant respiratory problems. does anyone else have this with a child with autism or any developmental delay. or have a lot of medical restrictions.

greenegurls

Asked by greenegurls at 10:52 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Health

• An alkaline diet can help with chronic ear, nose, and respiratory infections. I have 2 friends who did serious chelation with their sons and switched them to alkaline diets-- many of their autism symptoms began to fade and the infections stopped completely. The diet change really helped their childrens' all around health and well being.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:00 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I am doing a research paper on Autism for a MS PH class I am taking. My kids do not have Autism. But in the literature and studies I am reading there is definitely a link between Iron intake (which is supper high in prenatal vits and some diets) and Autism-- Although some of them read all heavy metals are a problem-- of course my ? is why then do we give so much in pregnancy? I mean I know the bedside reason but if scientifically it is proven to do more harm then good why continue?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:34 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My oldest has autism, but actually has a better immune system than his siblings - he never gets sick!

Melryn - not sure if this helps or raises more questions for you, but my iron is chronically low (even with additional iron supplements), always has been and especially during pregnancy (to the point I've had to have blood transfusions).

Answer by missanc at 10:46 AM on May. 11, 2010