Traveling with a newborn

Some of my husband's older relatives would like us to visit in the fall when my baby will be less than 2 months old. It's about a 4 hour drive. I think it'd be too challenging, but my dh's relatives think it's important to get an infant used to traveling and they also really want to see the baby because they're dying. I can certainly make stops on the way to breastfeed, but it seems like it'd be a miserable experience. Has anyone with experience traveling with a newborn have advice? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, they sleep most of the time.
    cristinaberger

Answer by cristinaberger at 11:10 PM on May. 10, 2010

• This is the BEST time to travel. I took my infant to Europe and Grand Cayman. SO easy. Baby really will just sleep in the bucket car seat. Do it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:13 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Yes, that is actually the best time to travel with a kid. They sleep most of the time. It is good to wake them up one time about halfway through so they can eat and you can change their diaper. But it really is pretty easy to travel with a baby that young. I went on a 24 hour train ride with my oldest when he was 6 weeks.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:16 PM on May. 10, 2010

• When my son was two months old we traveled to family that lived almost 7 hours away. It was not that bad. He slept and when he got hungry we would do pit stops, feed him, change him, and he would fall back asleep.
    Anonymous

• We flew from Japan to California when DS was 9wks old. He slept almost the entire flight! It was so much easier to fly with him at that age than now (he's 3y/o). When they're that young, all they do is eat and sleep. You don't really have to worry about entertaining them. Just make sure to stop half way to stretch your legs and feed baby.
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 12:02 AM on May. 11, 2010

• It's really not bad at all. We have eight children from newborn to thirteen, and have been traveling since the beginning with them all. We routinely drive three hours without stopping, and have no problems at all. Children adapt well!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 12:31 AM on May. 11, 2010

• i wouldnt be worried about the long trip but i would be concerned with taking a newborn out socializing during the flu season. make sure you bring plenty of hand sanitizer!!!
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 1:07 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I breastfeed, cloth diaper and traveled 16 hours by car with a 9 week old in November last year. It was only rough the last 3 or 4 hours (by then we'd ALL had enough of the car!) I fed every gas fill up and each rest stop we normally take. That trip usually takes 13 hours with no infant.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:52 PM on May. 11, 2010