Muslim moms_ What is gunnah

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Gunnah means to commit a sin
    Anonymous

• Again, as you can see different people(Muslims) will have different answers, and honestly I think that goes with any religion...
    Anonymous

• My husband and I were just talking about this word. He is a native Arabic speaker and hasn't seen this word before. We think it could be someone trying to say Jennah which is Heaven, but in the context it was used before in the other question we have no idea. I am going to ask my MIL about it. Give me a few days and check back. *edit, I just asked him about what the PP said it ment and he said he still had no idea, and I looked it up in my Islamic dictionary and couldn't find it, still going to ask my MIL so check back*
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 11:26 PM on May. 10, 2010

• its a word to describe something that is against the religion if committed...in other words it means a sin
    fay101

Answer by fay101 at 11:26 PM on May. 10, 2010

• yes there are different meanings but when one uses it in a sentence I ask to get the meaning.
    Anonymous

• gunnah means sin. its the punishment decided by God. its between man and God. and i know where this question came from. so i'll use that same example. a muslim girl does not cover herself properly meaning showing her boobs/skin or other other private parts in public. so as people say that she should be punished, that is wrong. according to islam, u cant touch her or say anything to her. this is between her and her God. so she'll probably get gunnah for that, aka she committed a sin so maybe a punishment from God. what punishment ? no one knows and no one can say anything but its a sin committed by her part
    Anonymous

• fFom Islamic translation to English.

gunaah - sin
    gunaah- e- kabira - mortal sin
    gunaah e saghira - venal sin

Also anon It does happen many things do in a faith. Things the faith is against that was the point it does happen, can happen, so why force the possible risk. I also provided proof that it does happen. Though I beleive it is family based, country law based, and individual belief based, not as a generalization every Muslim practices it basis.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 12:12 AM on May. 11, 2010

• thank you ,

Muslim moms.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Gunnah is not an Islamic word, not Arabic either. Perhaps it comes from a Muslim culture because I googled it and I see it in Urdu writings. Words that 'look' like that are 'Sunnah' with an 's' which means the life teachings of Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him, and as someone else mentioned it could be 'Jannah' which means Paradise.
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 8:45 AM on May. 11, 2010

• yes gunnah is an urdu word. the language spoken in some parts of eastern asia
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on May. 11, 2010