Have all the teachers/administraters suddenly gone stupid? Third grader receives detention for jolly rancher.

http://www.khou.com/news/Candy-Gets-Third-Grader-A-Weeks-Detention-93033319.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on May. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• by Gabe Gutierrez / 11 News

khou.com

Posted on May 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Updated Saturday, May 8 at 12:43 PM
    Related:

* State says school went too far in giving child detention over Jolly Rancher

ORCHARD, Texas – A third-grader at Brazos Elementary was given a week’s detention for possessing a Jolly Rancher.

School officials in Brazos County are defending the seemingly harsh sentence. The school’s principal and superintendent said they were simply complying with a state law that limits junk food in schools.

But the girl’s parents say it’s a huge overreaction.

“I think it’s stupid to give a kid a week’s worth of detention for a piece of candy,” said Amber Brazda, the girl’s mother. "The whole thing was just ridiculous to me."

Anonymous

• Her parents said she was in tears when she arrived home later that afternoon and handed them the detention notice.

According to the disciplinary referral, she would be separated from other students during lunch and recess through Friday.

Jack Ellis, the superintendent for Brazos Independent School District, declined an on-camera interview. But he said the school was abiding by a state guideline that banned “minimal nutrition” foods.

“Whether or not I agree with the guidelines, we have to follow the rules,” he said.
    Anonymous

• The state, however, gives each school discretion over how to enforce the policy. Ellis said school officials had decided a stricter punishment was necessary after lesser penalties failed to serve as a deterrent.

Ellis said failing to adhere to the state’s guidelines could put federal funding in jeopardy.

According to the Texas Department of Agriculture’s website, “The Texas Public School Nutrition Policy (TPSNP) explicitly states that it does not restrict what foods or beverages parents may provide for their own children's consumption.”
    Anonymous

• Brazos Elementary Principal Jeanne Young, said the problem, in this instance, was that the candy was provided by another student – not the girl’s parents.

The girl’s mother said the incident has taught her daughter a lesson, but not the one her teachers intended.

“I told her, ‘Leighann, unfortunately you’re learning very young that life’s not fair,'” Brazda said.
    Anonymous

• OP: I also think the mom is a piece of work for not standing up for her daughter. TEACHERS give candy for prizes for carps sake!
    Anonymous

• Life is going to hell in a handbasket. We have bigger fish to fry, this is a ridiculous thing.
    Anonymous

• Seriously. There are kids hanging themselves in bathrooms over such harsh teasing from other children that aren't being disciplined but a kid gets reprimanded for a piece of hard candy? It always goes back to the funding.
    19kwife

Answer by 19kwife at 11:38 PM on May. 10, 2010

• I AGREE!!! WITH YOU 19WIFE
    Anonymous

• Okay, that is really stupid. The poor little girl.
    Are they crazy there?
    I would have been at the school , steaming!!!!
    My daughter was punished for giggling in class by making her crouch under a desk for two hours until her knees hurt so much she cried. Sometimes I think the school system hires sadists. Makes you wonder.....
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:41 PM on May. 10, 2010

• Oh---I forgot to mention it was a school in Florida when we were an Air Force family and we got transfered,thank goodness. The teacher also made them read a Bible for 15 minutes every morning. WHat a good religious lady SHE was,huh? Ughhh....A hypocrite. She was evil.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:43 PM on May. 10, 2010