cereal at 6 wks

i'm getting very confused. i keep hearing that if your baby eats too much formula, give her cereal/rice. then other ppl say cereal/rice is not good for young babies, that you should just up their formula. any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at 4 months with both of my kids. i dont think a 6 week old would even be able to eat it yet....
    Jolenemom2

Answer by Jolenemom2 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• go for cereal - if they start looking for more than 6 oz at a time its cereal time - it doesnt hurt them or make digestion harder it just stays in their tummy longer (just like if you chose bread ofve a candy bar - the bread would fill you up faster and keep you full longer)
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I agree with vakatia. The rice will keep them fuller longer and help them sleep longer at night.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• cereal AND formula, but i never mixed them.
    lillygabesmom

Answer by lillygabesmom at 3:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I know formula is expensive but cereal at 6 wks is too early...wait til about 4 months. Plus the first 2 months they don't even eat much cereal b/c they are just learning on how to eat it.
    Samantha99985

Answer by Samantha99985 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I wouldn't give any baby under the age of 5 months a full mouth full of cereal/rice... at 4 months is pushing it so only do tastes up till 5 months.
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 7:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I gave my fist daughter cereal this when she was at least this young if not younger. Just be carefull not to make it too thick or he/she might have trouble swallowing it. Every baby is different and it just depends on the baby.
    bearfaye

Answer by bearfaye at 4:19 AM on Jun. 28, 2008

• I skipped the cereal, my son wasn't into it... it tastes like playdoh. lol My son eats fruit and veggies, I make his food and hes 6 months. You don't have to start w/ cereal.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• But I waited til he was 3.5 months.
    ChasesMommy0115

• The recommended age to introduce solid foods (starting with rice cereal) is 4-6 months. There are several reasons why including immaturity of the digestive system, inability to manage the texture and thickness in the mouth, potentially increasing the risk of developing food allegies, etc. How much is your baby eating now? Really, you should just increase the formula. Formaula feeding recommedations (in terms of ounces) go by weight not necessarily age. And how often do you feed? Is your baby really 'hungry' or looking to the bottle as a comfort mechanism?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 10:33 PM on Jun. 28, 2008