14 month old development??

Ds is 14 months. He doesn't really talk yet at all, I mean he babbles like crazy, but he doesn't say concrete words. If I walk in the room he doesn't go "mama!" but if I am like "Say mama" He'll go "mama, mama" Is that normal?? I feel like he should at least be saying a few words. Also he has taken his first steps. 2 weeks ago he was taking 5-6 steps before falling down and crawling but now when I get him to walk he will automatically sit down and crawl, as if he doesn't want to walk....He won't even try now. My mom keeps telling me that he needs to be walking by now, and that he's developmentally late. Is that true?

Thanks for the help :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It doesn't hurt to get him checked out. See if your city or county has an early intervention program. Usually it's free or very little cost depending on your income. Sometimes just little things can be corrected with a few appointments with a PT or OT.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:56 AM on May. 11, 2010

• MY DAUGHTER WAS 14 MTH OLD WHEN STARTED WALKING. IT SOUNDS LIKE HE UNDERSTANDS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING TO HIM. EACH BABY DOES EVERY THING IN A DIFFERENT TIME FRAME. I WOULD TALK TO YOUR PEDS DOCTOR.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on May. 11, 2010

• hon he is fine. your mom...well she needs to stop unless she has a degree you dont know about lol.
    I have a 13 month old so I am always looking this stuff upa nd talking to docs. here is a quick tip on language: at TWO people should be able to understand 50% of what he says, at THREE its 75%-so no worries. Just encourage him as best ya can and love him up. He is just fine.
    the walking will come, right now he is impatient. crawling is faster to get to things he sees thats it, not slow. tell mom to hush lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:58 AM on May. 11, 2010