How can I break my child from saying swear words?

My 7 year old son cusses like a sailor and I have tried everything I can think of to stop him from swearing. I need advice really bad before my 5 and 8 year olds start to cuss too. pleasssssseeeeee help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Wash his mouth out with really nasty tasting liquid soap, it's harder to wash out of your mouth. It won't hurt him or anything. And also spank him. Do this every time he says a curse word. Be consistent. Once you start, don't stop.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:09 AM on May. 11, 2010

• BTW i've used this technique. She doesn't swear anymore.
    flaggot13

• I was thinking the same thing as the first mom! Also I don't know if anyone in your family uses the words but you might watch out for that because if he is around other adults that say these words that's why he thinks its ok to do it. Good Luck I hope the soap trick works for you.

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 8:30 AM on May. 11, 2010

• First off, make sure he doesn't hear those words! Then if he does say them remind him that those are not nice words and are not allowed in your house. Remind him that just because others say them does not mean he can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with the PP,,, I used a dab of hot sauce everytime DS used a bad word,, it is almost impossible for a kid not to hear bad words these days.. I put the hot sauce in his mouth,, a small bit and he went to time out,,no more cursing!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:24 AM on May. 11, 2010

• the problem with us using hot sauce is that it wouldn't work, she loves spicy food. whichever one works for you is the one i'd stick with.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 9:27 AM on May. 11, 2010