Is 4 years too young to have a birthday party?

Amanda will be four in July and we are trying to decide if we should have a party for her. DO you think this is too young? We would invite her friends from preschool.

jekr433

Asked by jekr433 at 5:26 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You mean you didn't give her a first birthday party? That's sad. Every child should have a birthday party for every birthday.
    flaggot13

Answer by flaggot13 at 6:04 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Of course thats not too young!!!! I have never heard of any such thing.... My kids had a party starting with year #1
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 6:18 AM on May. 11, 2010

• For my sons first birthday we had a family party, for his second birthday it was just me, dh and our son at burger king. We did have a bif pool party for his 3rd birthday in March. I kept wondering the same thing...if he was too young for it. But he had a blast and loved it. I say go for it! :)

For the other 2 who answered: she didn't say that she didn't do anything at all for her daughters other birthdays just not a party. And I see nothing wrong with that either.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 6:23 AM on May. 11, 2010

• flaggot13...yeah, it would be great to have for all children to have a birthday party for every birthday....except for the fact, that I have two kids, and I can't afford throw two birthday parties every year! We do a small get together with cake and gifts...with just my parents, my brother & his wife, my sister and her husband...and my little brother, and my nieces. Other than that, they will only have REAL birthday parties on select birthdays, such as 1yr, probably 4 or 5...then probably 10....then 16...then 18. And they'll be on their own after that. (not literally, but I mean when it comes to partying.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:54 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Yeah...if you can't even throw a small party every year you are not doing something right. They grand total for my twins first birthday this weekend? $100. That includes decorations, their presents, a big cake and two smash cakes for them, and food. Oh and renting a power washer for my parents porch and a cheapo can of white paint to brighten up the car port. I learned it from my parents. The MOST they ever spent on my birthdays was around $200, if that. And I had a big party every year. Every year' I'll have to throw a party fro two kids at the same time. Not that I mind. But I'll make sure that it's a great time for all, even if I have to do it on a budget.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:14 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Sorry my other reply came out snippy. But I really do mean what I said. You can throw an awesome party for a very minimal price. You jsut have to be creative, budget for the year leading up to it, and cut coupons and find deal.s
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:23 AM on May. 11, 2010

• It's not sad if you chose not to have a 1st birthday party, I'm sure it was celebrated. It's more for the parents anyway than the child. Anyway, no 4 is not too young. You can have a small party at home, or an indoor inflatable playground, or Chuck E Cheese. All can think of right now. Whatever you choose, I hope she has a blast.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:34 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Good grief people, just because she didn't rent out Chuck E. Cheese and invite the entire neighborhood in the past doesn't mean she hasn't celebrated her child's birthday!!! People spend too much on children's birthday parties,IMO, inviting a cast of thousands for a child who won't even remember it. Until they're 4-5 years old, they don't know the difference between a few family members coming over to have cake, and pony rides and a moon bounce in the backyard. Birthday parties have become too much of "keeping up with the Joneses".

Anyway, 4 years old is a good age to have a birthday party with a few friends.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:38 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Katzmeow...You are sooooo right. I've been thinking and planning my daughters b-day party since she was 7 months. I havent went out to buy anything yet. But if you plan ahead you can come up with sooo many buget concious ideas. a simple get together with some of the pre-school friends with a cake (from the store or home made: my grandmother made MANY of my birthday cakes which I didnt mind because it made it special) and some simple decorations and games and you've got yourself the perfect party.
    TieraniMommy

Answer by TieraniMommy at 7:43 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I think it's a perfect age that Amanda can remember with her friends.  Anything other than that it's for the adults.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on May. 11, 2010