What to do for a 10 weeks old puppy "crying" at night?

We just got a Shitzu puppy yesturday. Well, last night I had to lock her up in the laundry room because she just cried and cried. I have her a box and even gave her a "baby". What can I do to help her with the change? Do I just have to wait it out?

palexander

Asked by palexander at 6:26 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Pets

• She will adjust but if you give in she will cry longer and louder the next you decide she needs to be locked up in a room or crate. If you have a crate for her you might try placeing a towel over the front on it or play music in the room.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:48 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Kennel her and put a blanket over the kennel
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on May. 11, 2010

• yep kennel with a blanket helped our puppy and for the first few nights we left a small lamp on and a radio, did wonders.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 10:46 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I will have to get her a kennel. We don't have one. Thanks so much.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 10:56 AM on May. 11, 2010

• i WOULD NOT LOCK THEM IN A ROOM FOR SURE!

Security item-she is a baby!

Something with your scent. not anything she might mistake as hers, clothes etc.. ;later inlife because it will cause other problems like, tearing up and chewing clothes.

The people at the pet store can help you. Find someone knowledgeable.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 11:29 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I agree with all the previous posters. Also, a warm bottle (what are those called? the rubber ones you filled with hot water) covered with a blanket that smells like you did wonders for us.

A ticking clock is supposed to emulate the heartbeat of the mom and other pups so that's worth a try too. : )

Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 12:23 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I don't want to lock her in a room. I will put up a gate to keep in the kitchen but there is a light left on. I will try a blanket with my scent. What about a sound machince that has the heartbeat?
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 12:55 PM on May. 11, 2010

• I'd put a ticking clock close by (not where she can use it for a chew toy), and give her an article of clothing with your scent on it (that you don't mind trashing).
    bluejupalex

Answer by bluejupalex at 7:20 PM on May. 14, 2010