finding my dad

yesterday i ment my dad for the first time. i was scared, nervous, excited, and overwhelmed. i am 30 and he hasnt seen me since i was 1. can anyone tell me experince they had in meeting a parent? also, please pray for us to give us the strength we need to move through this. it just doesnt seem real you know? i have waited this as long as i can remember and now that it has happen i cant believe it.

jamiethornton26

Asked by jamiethornton26 at 6:55 AM on May. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I don't know anything about meeting a parent. But I will for sure pray for you guys! This post for sure gave me chills. That is so awesome that you found your dad. Like I said I will pray for you I hope it all works out! Best of Luck

Zara Nichols
    Helping Moms Work From Home
    www.4AHappyLife.com
    ZaraN

Answer by ZaraN at 7:52 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I didn't actually meet my father face-to-face, but I did connect with him (for the first time) when I was 38 years old--he was 61 years old at the time and in poor health, so I didn't feel a face-to-face meeting would have been appropriate. We exchanged pictures and emails with one-another, and I said everything I had to say (I had been lied to by my mother my entire life--but that's a thread for another day! LOL). Bottom line, I feel as though my questions were answered, and I made peace with him before he died a year ago (3 years after connecting).

As in my case, I had SO MANY questions, and I was angry for having been lied to, and I didn't expect all of the "warm fuzzy" moments, but I'm glad I had the chance to put my doubts to rest. I think you should tread slowly, don;t expect much, and if the relationship grows, great...if not, don't beat yourself up over it.

Good luck! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:05 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Good for you. My dd moved to the state where her dad lives to get to know him. What we have learned in this experience is to not expect too much. I hope it goes well but remember that he may not be as perfect as some kids grow up and think that dad will be. He's a man. I'm sure he loves you but may have problems expressing it. Take it slow and embrace all the good.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:06 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I met my birthdad at 41 and his first question to me was "don't you have a brother" (his son) and I saw this Big "L" appear on his forehead. How any parent could forget their own kids is beyond me.
    GMMOLLY

Answer by GMMOLLY at 11:00 AM on May. 12, 2010