Should School Bus Drivers be prohibited from using headphones?

This driver was clearly listening to music while driving.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I can't believe it isn't against the law!!! I would report it to the bus company---besides not being able to hear traffic,, what about all the kids on the bus!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:12 AM on May. 11, 2010

• IDK. I guess I would call the transportation department and ask if they issue bus drivers some kind of head phones to communicate with them. If they say no... then ask what kind of head phones is the bus driver wearing then because she seemed very distracted from driving while wearing them.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that it's illegal for the operator of any motor vehicle to be listening to headphones. That's a serious safety issue, I would call the school and let them know.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:34 AM on May. 11, 2010

• It's illegal to wear head phones while driving a car so I can't see a bus driver being allowed to wear them. They need to be aware of what's going on in their bus. I would call and find out.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:50 AM on May. 11, 2010

• As I recall from driver's ed (16 yrs ago or so), you aren't supposed to wear headphones while operating a vehicle. So, I would say that should apply to bus drivers as well. And even IF it were allowed to wear them in ordinary circumstances, I think bus drivers probably should still not be allowed, simply b/c their vehicle is so much larger, they have so many more lives to be responsible for, and so many other distractions already, they don't need another distraction in the form of headphones.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:13 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Yes, they should be prohibited. You need your ears as well as your eyes to drive, especially when you hold the safety of so many children in your hands!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:13 AM on May. 11, 2010