What chores do you get your kid to do? And how much do you pay?

My daughter will be 6 in July and I've told her when she is 6 she will start doing chores and getting an allowance. Other than making her bed and cleaning her room I'm not sure what else to get her to do...or what to pay her weekly.
Thanks.

drpepper73

Asked by drpepper73 at 8:39 AM on May. 11, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We have 3 set of chores. Daily chores that is must: make beds, keep room tidy, put away your things, etc. Chores to help mommy: fold clothing, wipe tables, wipe sink, scrub toilets, put a load in the washer or dryer, put away dishes, etc. The help mommy chores happen when ever I ask them to do something. Then we have money chores: dust, vacuum, sweep of yard trampoline, and walk our 1/2 acre lot collecting dog poop. They can earn up to $1.00 per day on their money chores only! If they don't do it they don't get paid. They in a 2 week pd period can earn up to $14 on the MONEY CHORES ONLY! They average about $8 per paid period, which means we have several days they do not do money chores, so they don't get money. This system works for us, because there are chores they do because it's just being apart of the household; then there are a few t

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:19 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Just think of what you use to do when you were at that age but really since she lives in the house it should be done without pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on May. 11, 2010

• No allowance... Our 3 are 13, 7 and 6 yrs. They know what their jobs are, they do them or they don't get to do fun stuff, like ride their dirtbikes, ride our jet ski's, go rock crawling in our jeep... We don't pay them, they have to earn the right to have fun and get a roof, food, and respect and lots of love! Here's the list of chores...
    Clean their room (all 3 do their own)
    Empty Dishwasher (together, it teaches them to work together)
    Gather laundry ( 6 yr old, takes it in the laundry room)
    Take out trash (13 yr old)
    Clean up the living room (7 yr old)
    They also help with yard work, but we do that together.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 AM on May. 11, 2010

• have her help sweep or set the dinner table. little things at that age:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:03 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Ours is 6 yrs and he is in charge of feeding the dogs dinner everynight, picking up after himself ( toys, clothes, dishes into the sink, etc.) we pay $5 every friday. Good luck! I think it is a great idea. I love the lessons it teaches about money, working for your own things, responsibility. Oh, there is a website I found when I started chores www.handipoints.com it has printable chore charts, ideas on behavior and chores, plus oline games they earn for doing chores.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on May. 11, 2010

• It cut off my answer.... This system works for us because there are chores they do because they are apart of the household. I agree with so many that say they can't be expect to get paid for everything. There are something they just have to do, make their beds, keep the room tidy, put away their things, help mommy when she ask for help. But we have chosen to add opt chores. Chores that would be nice if done, but not necessary to everyday household tidiness. We don't want to go poop-scoop the yard. So it's hey you can do it and get pd. Sweeping the yard trampoline is just for it's own maintenance and the kids safety. The dusting and vacuuming are bonuses as well. I give them plenty of time to do it and at some point if it's not done I just do it myself. They are learning that they pay is based on their performance, which is an important life skill.

SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 9:26 AM on May. 11, 2010

• Mine are 4 & 3. They can fold washcloths, pick up their own toys & clothes, empty the dishwasher, dust, and (kinda) help w/ windows.
    There is no payment for doing their part to keep our household running - it is expected.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 9:33 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My 3 boys (13,11,4) use a chore reward chart- they each have their own daily chores, and for each chore they finish they get a sticker. They must do at least 2 chores and then they will get a reward from the treat bucket. There are 'bonus' chores they can to also. I do not give an allowance because they should not be paid to pick up after themselves. their chores are - make their bed, pick up, empty the dishwasher, put the clean laundry away, take the dirty laundry downstairs, feed/water the cats, take the recycles out...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:35 AM on May. 11, 2010

• I see that some of you don't pay your kids and I can respect that but I want to pay my daughter as I want to teach her financial responsibility. I do like the idea of some chores being expected and then having the money chores. Thanks for the website anon. I'll check it out.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 9:37 AM on May. 11, 2010

• My son is only 1 so I haven't started thinking about this yet but I do love the idea of having money chores and then the chores he is expected to do regularly. Great idea!
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 10:17 AM on May. 11, 2010